Thread: P/O Oliver Ogle Ormrod (Sonny)

Thanks

Default P/O Oliver Ogle Ormrod (Sonny)

Pilot Officer Ormrod kept a diary of his time in the RAF with 605 Squadron, and later, having flown off the carrier Argus to Malta in November 1941, of his time on the island till his death there aged 20 in April 1942. Tragically his body was not found for 5 months after he had been shot down, presumably having baled out as his body was found on the roof of a house.
    I have seen quotes from the diary in the book 'The Siege Within The Walls' is the full version available anywhere does anyone know ? Or where the diary may be held ?

Paul Lovell

Thanks

Hi

Many quotes from the Diary in Brian Cull s Hurricanes Over Malta: the bibliography merely lists it under Diaries so presumably not published.

Also direct references to this tragedy in Anthony Rogers 185 Squadron which is based on the 185 Sqn Diary.
    No mention though in the Bibliography.
    Regards
    Peter

Have just found in the Acknowledgements of H Over M that Ormrods 500 page plus Journal was copied from a copy in the Strickland Foundation.

Thanks

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply, I have those two Malta books, Perhaps I'll drop a line to Brian. The Strickland Foundation relates to Mabel Strickland daughter of Gerald Strickland who was the Prime Minister of Malta between 1927 and 1930, she founded The Times with her father in 1935. So maybe diary with the Times on Malta.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul

Thought I'd pre-empt you!

Yes, a copy of the diary is held by the Strickland Foundation, but I fear that you will have hell of a job to access it.

Drop me a line and we can discuss matters!

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian

Thanks for that, will be in touch soon.

Paul