Thread: P/O R.P.B.H. Plunkett, 14 Sqdn, 14/06/1940, missing

Bart FM Droog Guest

Default P/O R.P.B.H. Plunkett, 14 Sqdn, 14/06/1940, missing

Can anybody tell more about:

Pilot Officer Reginald P.B.H. Plunkett, RAF 40849, 14 Sqdn., age unknown, 14/06/1940, missing

14 Squadron was stationed in Port Sudan (Sudan), but...

as P/O Reginald Plunkett is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial (UK) for missing airmen during operations from bases in the United Kingdom and North and Western Europe, and not on the Alamein Memorial (Egypt) for missing airmen during operations in the Mediterranean, Middle East and Africa, can one assume that he was detached to a unit flying in the European Theatre of Operations?

If so: to which unit?

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

From RAF Bomber Losses in the Middle East and Mediterranean Vol.1 - Gunby / Temple.

14 June 1940.
    14 Squadron.
    Wellesley I K7743.
    Op: Massawa.

Crew.
    P/O. R P B H. Plunkett +

Took off 1530 hrs Port Sudan, with another aircraft to attack the Acico petrol installation. Seen heading out to sea after bombing, and claimed shot down by Ten Visintini of 412 Squadriglia. The pilot, who was flying the aircraft solo. is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Regards
    Peter.
    Last edited by peter; 3rd April 2008 at 09:49.

Bart FM Droog Guest

Thanks, Peter,

Have you any idea if it is exceptionel (the listing on the Runnymede memorial of a man who's missing, but not in Europe?)

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bart FM Droog View Post
    Thanks, Peter,

Have you any idea if it is exceptionel (the listing on the Runnymede memorial of a man who's missing, but not in Europe?)

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart,

Just got of the phone to the CWGC having asked your question of them. The answer I received was that they didn't know why your man is commemorated at Runnymede, they also said they could not say if this was an exceptional case adding that the area he was lost is covered by the Malta Memorial, they went on to say it all depended what they were told by the RAF after the war.

Sorry I can't add more

Regards
    Peter

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Peter,

Thanks! So this will remain one of the many mysteries of the war.

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bart FM Droog View Post
    Thanks, Peter,

Regards,

Bart
    Yes, exceptional or rare. Some errors of this nature were made but this is to expected when one looks at the number of those appearing on the CWGC register (100,000+). During my research into the 4000+ New Zealanders on the register I came across only a tiny handful of such errors.

Errol

Bart FM Droog Guest

Thanks Errol,

Good to hear this from you: it strengthens my belief in the reliability of the CWGC Database. It's natural that mistakes are made, but as you say, considered the number of people listed and the chaos and confusion one can call it a miracle that the mistakes are so few.

Regards,

Bart