Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric B Kraus RAFVR officer

Thanks

Default Eric B Kraus RAFVR officer

I'd appreciate some help in tracing this gentleman in the London Gazette.

Briefly Kraus was a Czech meteorologist working in Norway at the beginning of the war. He volunteered for service in France and was recruited into the French Air Force as a meteorologist in March 1940. Following the fall of France in June 1940 he made his way to the UK via Algiers and Gibraltar - possibly arriving in early July. He was subsequently commissioned as a Pilot Officer - date unknown but I suspect this must have been about August 1940.

This is a very brief summary gleaned from his obituary and an article in the Meteorological Magazine in which he decribes how his proposal to for meteorological reconnaissance flights led to the creation on Met Flights operating over the North Sea and East Atlantic.

He made at least Flt Lt in rank and returned to civilan life soon after the war.

My problem is that despite his unusual name I can find no mention of him in the London Gazette, and wonder if anyone can help me with either a service number, service history or some pointers how best to proceed.

TIA

Brian.

Thanks

Are you sure he is listed in the LG at all?

We have touched on the subject of foreign, or from occupied territories, RAFVR officers being not listed before. Very few Danes are listed, for instance.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Brian,

Mikkel is right - no Czech personnel mentioned in the LG during the WWII.

He is also not mentioned in the official list of Czechoslovak airmen I think because he joined the RAF independently. But at home I have a citation of some Czech award to him so I think there will be some info for you.
    But there is will few days of work before I will be able to get home so please be patient.

Would be possible to see his obituary?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Brian,

Here is what I have on Kraus' wartime service.

He was with 1406 (Met) Flt during 1941 (no exact dates or in what capacity, presumably Met. Officer), Senior Met. Officer 1 PRU Sum 42 - 19 Oct 42, Senior Met. Officer RAF Benson 19 Oct 42 - 03 Jul 43, Senior Met. Officer 106 (PR) Wg 03 Jul 43-14 Apr 44, Senior Met. Officer 106 (PR) Grp 14 Apr 44- Jul 45

Hope that helps.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

An additional bit of info.

from HQ Coastal Command 08 Aug 42, Met. Officer 8(C) OTU 08 Aug 42-28 Aug 42, to RAF Benson 28 Aug 42

Thanks

Thank you gentlemen for all your comments, at least there's a good reason for him being missing from the LG.

Pavel/Andy
    Kraus's obituary is at http://www.schweizerbart.de/resources/downloads/paper_previews/53273.pdf, but it doesn't tell a great deal; I will attempt to get some more next week. In the meantime I will email a copy of his Meteorological Magazine article as that better describes what he was doing better than I can. It's not very specific as regards dates, but I think this provides the time-line

Late June/early July - Arrives in UK from France
    August - Commissioned P/O
    August - September employed as a forecaster in the Central Forecast Office (Dunstable)
    October -Employed as a forecaster at HQ 4 Group Bomber Command

January - Posted to Aldergrove to join the embryo 1405 Met Flight (3 Blenheims but no aircrew)
    February - Undertook crash course in navigation
    February - Joined 1403 Met Flight at Bircham Newton as navigator
    April (approx) - Promoted to F/O
    May - autumn - Based at St Eval with 1404 Met Flight, but seems to have also flown (as navigator) with 1403 and 1405 Met Flights as well.
    ** 4-7 December - With 1407 Met Flight in Iceland (reference to this in his article considerably overstates his stay. "Even the birds were walking", based on the 1407 Met Flight ORB, just has him making a fleeting visit as a junior officer.)

January or February - Thornaby (believed as a forecaster)
    April - With 1406 Met Flight at Wick
    Late summer - Benson as Senior Met Officer

Nothing of interest thereafter as the article is about his connection with Met Flights. You have far more information than I do, Andy.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 9th November 2012 at 20:11. Reason: New info re Iceland visit

Thanks

Hi Brian,

Article rx'd thank you. I will enjoy reading it.

Thanks for the additional info on Kraus' earlier career, it fills in the gaps in his early career nicely. he certainly floated around a bit between Met Flts before he settled in with the PRU.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks

Double post - Deleted
    Last edited by Andy Fletcher; 9th November 2012 at 20:11. Reason: Double post - Deleted

Thanks

As a matter of interest would Kraus appear in the AFL and, if so, would it identify which unit he was with?

Brian

Thanks

Brian as far as I know Czechs were also not mentioned in the AFL during the war.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz