Thread: Tracing my Grandfather - Augustine Clarke - 1574268

Thanks

Default Tracing my Grandfather - Augustine Clarke - 1574268

Hello,
    I'm trying to trace the records of my grandfather, who's name was Augustine Clarke, born on the 14th of March 1896 in Edinburgh. I understand he was a corporal in the Fleet Air Arm or the RAF during WW1 and was wounded in France when a bullet or some shrapnel went through his cheek (as a child I was fascinated by the scar left by the wound).
    The service number I have been given is 1574268; however, this may or may not be accurate, as it was by word of mouth and clearly these events were a long time ago.
    I am new to the forum and have little experience in tracing records but I'm willing to learn. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    Regards, Francis Riley

Thanks

Francis,

A search for Augustine Clarke in the National Archives, Kew, London, catalogue brings up two entries, but the birth details do not match those you provided. This is the man's service record for the time he was serving with the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS):

Name Clarke, Augustine Official Number: F22006 Place of Birth: Walthamstow, London 22-08-1897
    Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services. Royal Naval Air Service RNAS. Name Clarke, Augustine Official Number: F22006 Place of Birth: Walthamstow, London 22-08-1897.
    Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
    Date range: 01 January 1916 - 31 December 1916
    Reference:ADM 188/604/6
    Subjects:Armed Forces (General), Air Force, Navy

When the RNAS merged with the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) in April 1918 to form the Royal Air Force (RAF) Clarke was renumbered and a new file for him created, namely:

Name: Augustine Clarke.
    Air Ministry: Air Member for Personnel and predecessors: Airmen's Records. Name: Augustine Clarke.
    Collection: Records created or inherited by the Air Ministry, the Royal Air Force, and related bodies
    Date range: 01 January 1918 - 31 December 1928
    Reference:AIR 79/2001/222006
    Subjects:Air Force, Armed Forces (General)

Note that his service number changed with the merger from F22006 to 222006 (see last part of the AIR file number).

Unfortunately neither of these records are available online, so a personal or researcher visit is required to view them.

Notwithstanding the birth detail difference, the above's RNAS and RAF service would tie in with your 'Fleet Air Arm or the RAF' comment.

1574268 might indicate that your grandfather also served with the RAF during WWII. Numbers in the 1425001 to 1649900 block were allotted to airmen who enlisted during April-October 1941.

Errol

Thanks

Default Augustine Clarke

Hello Errol,

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. Unfortunately the information you uncovered for me does not point to my granddad, he was definitely born on the 14th of March 1896 in Edinburgh (one of the verified pieces of information I have about him). I shall have to bat on. My mother is convinced that his service number is correct; however, as you point out, it may have changed some time later?

Does anyone have any ideas where I can look next?

Regards, Francis Riley.

Quote Originally Posted by Errol Martyn View Post
    Francis,

A search for Augustine Clarke in the National Archives, Kew, London, catalogue brings up two entries, but the birth details do not match those you provided. This is the man's service record for the time he was serving with the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS):

Name Clarke, Augustine Official Number: F22006 Place of Birth: Walthamstow, London 22-08-1897
    Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services. Royal Naval Air Service RNAS. Name Clarke, Augustine Official Number: F22006 Place of Birth: Walthamstow, London 22-08-1897.
    Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
    Date range: 01 January 1916 - 31 December 1916
    Reference:ADM 188/604/6
    Subjects:Armed Forces (General), Air Force, Navy

When the RNAS merged with the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) in April 1918 to form the Royal Air Force (RAF) Clarke was renumbered and a new file for him created, namely:

Name: Augustine Clarke.
    Air Ministry: Air Member for Personnel and predecessors: Airmen's Records. Name: Augustine Clarke.
    Collection: Records created or inherited by the Air Ministry, the Royal Air Force, and related bodies
    Date range: 01 January 1918 - 31 December 1928
    Reference:AIR 79/2001/222006
    Subjects:Air Force, Armed Forces (General)

Note that his service number changed with the merger from F22006 to 222006 (see last part of the AIR file number).

Unfortunately neither of these records are available online, so a personal or researcher visit is required to view them.

Notwithstanding the birth detail difference, the above's RNAS and RAF service would tie in with your 'Fleet Air Arm or the RAF' comment.

1574268 might indicate that your grandfather also served with the RAF during WWII. Numbers in the 1425001 to 1649900 block were allotted to airmen who enlisted during April-October 1941.

Errol