Thread: 11th Hour of the 11th Month

Thanks

Default 11th Hour of the 11th Month

Tomorrow at 1100 I will pause to remember those who fell in WW1 and WW2. I will also remember those who not only DOAS but also those who have recently passed away and whos Cause of Death was almost certainly due to service in/with the Military, and things contracted thereby.
    It is my contention that CWGC must be re-constituted (and funded) to include those casualties (from whatever cause) that have occurred subsequent to CWGCs arbitrary end of WW2. We owe it to those who are no longer with us!
    The world has not become a safer place since WW2!
    At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them!
    Respectfully
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Interesting one Peter,

i am with people who may be able to help next week. Will see what can be done.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Guys,

How available is the info on casualties who were killed outside of the two World Wars and not listed on the CWGC web site? Before, in between or since? Who looks after their graves?

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Nick,

There is no single answer to your question but I shall attempt to answer it in part.

Deaths attributable to and whilst in service since the end of 1947 are, for UK service personnel commemorated on the Armed Forces Memorial walls at the National memorial Arboretum, Alrewas. Those whose death in service was not as a direct act on duty ie they died of an illness at home are not thus commemorated but they appear in the on-line Roll of Honour and certainly in the case of the RAF, in the books at St Clement Danes Church London. The mortal remains of the above are either in the private care of their families or in many cases in cemeteries overseas which are cared for by 'contracts' arranged through service/government sources. The repatriation of persons died overseas is a relatively recent system but on receipt in this country, the family decides how their dead relative should be treated - burial, cremation etc.

For remains of wartime casualties, there are a number of CWGC cemeteries which are deemed to be 'open' and any recoveries are usually buried there.

For those who died between the two world wars, I don't think there was ever a formal commemoration en block, although various records were compiled - see Malcolm's site: rafweb for example.

The reason for the AFM at Alrewas was because there was no central register of post-war dead service personnel and this was because of the Army's 'Record Office ' system, which was largely kept by regiments. The RAF had the records at St Clems and I recall being consulted in the early days about how I had acquired information which would allow people to be categorised as death attributable to service and not attributable. I don't recall that there was any attempt to link a possible death in hospital eg which might have been caused by a service generated illness nor was there any attempt to deal with former service personnel whose subsequent death was attributable to their service.

I think that'll do for now but there are many variations and I am sure that somebody will put me right if I have made errors in the piece.

Colin Cummings