Thread: Waterbeach museum : what happened to it ?

Thanks

Default Waterbeach museum : what happened to it ?

Hello,

I recently read in a magazine that Waterbeach, which had been transfered from the R.A.F. to the Army, had closed in June 2012. The Hunter in front of the main entrance has been moved away. When I drove past a few years ago, I learned on the main entrance on a visitors information board that there was a museum, but visible by prior appointment, which I didn't know.

I had planned to visit Waterbeach again, and ask for an appointment, but with the definitive closure, I'm wondering about the museum and its actual whereabouts. A couple of crew and planes which took off from RAF Waterbeach crashed in my research area in northern France, and I'm always keen to learn more about them.

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/oliver.merrington/waterbeach/barracksmuseum2012.pdf :

Museum was closed on 30 September 2012, items now stored, looking for the new place.

There is also a contact so maybe there you will be able to get the actual info.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Major Thread Drift!

Joss/Pavel,
    In UK we have a saying "It's not what you know, but who you know."
    I arrived at Waterbeach from Wattisham as NSA SAC Airman Met Man in the early 50's. On my first night I went to the NAAFI. And there - surprisingly - I met a bloke I had been at Square Bashing with. He looked fairly dejected, so I bought him a coffee. He was grateful. He said if there was anything he could do for me then I only had to let him know. He was a very lowly Clerk Accounts in Stores - but in charge of Deficiency Vouchers! Now if you didn't have a piece of Issue Kit you had to have a Deficiency Chit to prove it. My Mate provided me with Deficiency Chits showing that I was officially, and (il)legally, deficient (1) Boots, Pr, Airmen for the use of, Qty 1, (2) Webbing, 194? Pattern, Airman for the use of, Qty 1, and (3) Slings, Rifle, Lee-Enfield 303, Airmen for the use of, Qty 1. (I actually had all these bits of kit!!)
    So, when my name appeared on SROs detailing me for Parades, I could go to the General Office, present my Deficiency Chits, and be struck off the Parade List. I think the Station Warrant Officer knew what was going on - but he couldn't prove it!!!
    "It's not what you know, but who you know!"
    Sorry, Ross, but memories of Waterbeach supervened!!
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 15th November 2012 at 15:11.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your informations.

Peter you're quite right !

Regards

Joss