Thread: 48 Squadron F/Lt B. SMITH, DFC D-Day night flight

Thanks

Default 48 Squadron F/Lt B. SMITH, DFC D-Day night flight

Hi all,
    I am trying to identify the aircraft that dropped 1st Canadian Paras over Blonville Sur Mer / Villers Sur Mer/ Saint Vaast En auge on D-Day night, on of whom is buried in our local churchyard (H17245 Sgt Richard LA CROIX, 1st Canadian Para Bat.)
    Some years ago I got the account of one of the paras (Sgt Douglas BROWN). He explained me what happened: the port engine was on fire and the paras had to jump. In that short account, Sgt Brown writes that the pilot was an Australian.
    I looked at the 48 Squadron ORB, and one aircraft pretty matches Sgt Brown 's account:KG 436
    The Dakota crew was:
    F/Lt B. SMITH, DFC
    W/O R C CLARKE
    658895 Sgt Dennis Harry Ralph PLEAR (KIA 21.09.1944)
    W/O G. BIRLISSON

Would someone have more information about that crew and F/Lt B SMITH in particular?
    Thanks for your help,

Ludo

Thanks

Hello,

42365 F/L Bernard SMITH DFC, MiD, RAF, came from Bolton, Lancashire.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th November 2012 at 00:49.

Thanks

Hello Col.,

Thanks for you reply.
    I have more questions for you.
    Would you know the service numbers for W/O R C CLARKE and W/O G BIRLISSON?
    Do you know if any of the 48 Squadron pilots was Australian ? F/O R G J HULL (KG414)? F/O M R S MACKAY (KG439)? F/Lt W F STONE (KG423)?

Regards,

Ludo

Thanks

Hello,

BIRLISON (195693), and CLARK/CLARKE were aboard the same No.48 Sqn Dakota (KG579) as PLEAR on 21-9-1944. Birlison was shot as he descended by parachute, Clark/Clarke also baled out, he reached Allied lines.

I don't have full details to hand, someone should be able to supply the rest.

I don't recognize any of the names mentioned as RAAF/Australians. l'm not at home and can't check.

Notified:

129373 Raymond George James HULL RAFVR
    131570 Martin Reay Sutherland MACKAY RAFVR (Later F/L DFC LG: 2-2-1945, p.700)
    W F STONE ?

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th November 2012 at 10:48.

Thanks

Unfortunately, M R S MacKay was the sole survivor of a Dakota which crashed taking off from Zeals on a return flight to its base in Leicestershire.

Post war, he went into the colonial service but then killed himself whilst serving in Kenya.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

131570 Martin Reay Sutherland Mackay was my 3rd cousin once removed. Although his parents were from Doune, Perthshire, Scotland, he happened to be born in Australia in 1923. I believe his father was a doctor and his mother a nurse stationed there at the time. They all returned to England in Feb. 1924 when M.R.S. Mackay was just 1 year old. I wonder if that's where the "Australian" pilot fits in?