Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Officer Albert Yoxon 7/12/1944

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer Albert Yoxon 7/12/1944

Pilot Officer Albert Yoxon was killed on 7/12/1944, i believe during a training accident in Scotland. Unfortunately he does not tie in with any loss that I know of, would someone know which aircraft he was lost on.
    Information that i do have is that he survived a 4000ft fall in training in Canada, survived 33 missions and that he was an accomplished Footballer and Cricketer.

Thanks,
    Alan.

Thanks

Probate confirms he died on war service but no sign of him in the Scottish Death Register.

An Albert Yoxon, 22 years old, is listed in the English register at Bourne Lincolnshire for that quarter.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hello,

No.1651 HCU Lancaster I PB749 BCL8/151

Col.

Thanks

184378, P/O Albert Yoxon, 1651 HCU. died on 7/12/44 when on a training flight in Lancaster I PB749.
    The aircraft took off from Woolfox Lodge at 1150 for local flying and practice bombing. The weather was misty but there was a high cloud base at 12,000 feet. Visibility was up to 4 miles. At 1214 the Lancaster broke up, possibly from an on-board explosion, and crashed near Langtoft, Lincs..
    Source; Chorley Bomber Command Losses, Vol 8., page 151.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, I was doubtful about Albert Yoxon's death being in Scotland as I think I have 1939-1945 fatalities for Scotland tied up now.

Alan.

Thanks

Default More on Albert Yoxon

Albert Yoxon is my mother in law's cousin, and I first heard of him when another cousin died, and I found the cutting above amongst my wife's uncle's effects.

Albert did indeed play a match for Liverpool FC, on 14.12.1940, in goal, against New Brighton. Also in the team was Bob Paisley, and a fellow RAF stalwart, Billy Liddell.

Today I met his sister, and she has loaned me some letters and a couple of photographs which I shall scan and post.
    However, I am still looking for details of his accident in Canada, which I now know was a flat spin from 4000 feet into the ground. During the spin he had the forethought to switch off the fuel and all the switches before impact.
    He hoped to keep the accident a secret from his family, sending a letter a few days after, saying he had broken an ankle playing football...!
    In a subsequent letter, he reveals his deception had been uncovered because the MoD had informed the family!

Thanks

Hello,

Albert Yoxon's accident, must have occurred before the 7th of September, 1942, as a report in the Globe and Mail of that date, has the following:

AIR FORCE CASUALTIES.

YOXON, Albert. Leading Aircraftman, seriously ill due to injuries sustained on active service in Canada. J Yoxon (father), Liverpool, Eng.

Col.

Thanks

I can't find the name Yoxon in my notes. For the first few weeks of September 1942 the BCATP in Canada was averaging about two write off accidents a day, plus several lesser crashes. Can we determine a School, or at least a location, where Yoxon was at that time? Then I might be able to find some more details.

Thanks

His service number in Canada was 1479281 LAC Yoxon, and he lists his address (from his hospital bed) as:
    35 E.F.T.S.
    Neepawa
    Manitoba
    Canada

He states in his letter dated 8th September, "Wish I had a camera yesterday. I had been here 5 days without shaving and had a grand beard"

I am at work, but will scan and post more later.

Thanks

Hi,
    Link to the ORB for 35 EFTS for 2nd Sept 1942 and the crash details:
    http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...40/905?r=0&s=2

35EFTS ORB: "An aircraft Accident occurred at 10.15 hours, 5 miles south of Franklin, to Tigermoth No.1241. 1479281 AC Yoxon, Pupil Pilot, Was carrying out practice spin and was unable to recover from one with the result that he crashed the aircraft sustaining serious injuries and concussion"
    NExt page for 4th Sept has " Owing to the rapid recovery being made by LAC Yoxon, involved in an aircraft accident on 1st Sept, the Medical Officer considers him fit enought to be removed from the seriously injured list"
    There is a full accident report here that runs for 8 pages:
    http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...30/712?r=0&s=2

Alan.