Thread: Putnam "British Flight Testing, Martlesham Heath 1929-1939"

Thanks

Default Putnam "British Flight Testing, Martlesham Heath 1929-1939"

All has anyone got this and could look up a name Sgt Slee (later P/O Slee) and also any accidents/incidents around August 1935 Thanks Paul

Thanks

Sorry Paul: PO CE ‘Charlie’ Slee is mentioned in the book (on p41), but only in the context of his having been one of the notable pilots, rather than in relation to any specific incident.

HTH
    Niall

Thanks

Niall

Thanks- this is one that is particular hard to nail down - I have Sgt C E Slee bailng out I believe "24th August 1935 " at 'Colnbrook England"' well thats what it looks like - I have today confirmed Slee was at Martlesham Heath in 1935 as Sgt before 7 Sqn as P/O then back to Martlesham Heath in 1937 - he was later first CO of Empire Test Pilots School

I assume he was flying a heavy bomber ' as he was on B Sqn at Martlesham Heath in 1937 and 7 Sqn was bomber Sqn ' but that is all I know - I suppose all will be revealed in the fulness of time but this one is annoying me!

Paul

Thanks

Paul.

Lest it become established fact; W/C C.E. Slee, MVO, AFC, was never "CO of the ETPS". He was posted in as Ofiicer Commanding, Test Pilots Training Flight at Boscombe Down (the later, Empire Test Pilots' School), in 1943. As it happened, Wing Commander Slee never actually became part of the setup. Before the organisation really started he was called to the Establishment (A&AEE), itself to do clearance trials on a special York which was to be assigned to the King's Flight and this posting took him off three weeks before the School started to the King's Flight itself from which he did not return to Boscombe Down.

See:
    Learn to Test,Test to Learn:The History of the Empire Test Pilots' School.
    Rawlings,John & Hilary Sedgwick.
    Shrewsbury:Airlife,1991
    pp.4-5.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 20th November 2012 at 09:32.

Thanks

Col

Thanks for putting the correct facts out there

Paul