Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which brevet?

Thanks

I've only just picked up on this thread via an email which Dave had sent to my old email address! I can cite one instance at least where an RAF pilot, Max Venton (and my namesake) gained his wings in S Rhodesia in late 1943 but on return to Blighty was re-mustered as a flight engineer due to an excess of pilots coming into the country via EATS. His headstone in the Reichswald acknowledges him as "Pilot" not flight engineer and operationally he wore his pilot's brevet. Further details can be found on my website www.ordinarycrew.co.uk which is currently being revised though still accessible.
    Max Williams
    Last edited by Galgos; 25th January 2013 at 17:03.
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Just found this thread and wondering if Dave still has the information on Mahr, his brother is hoping to find as much as he can about Rudy's accident following the probable discovery of the crash site, we would be most grateful for any help, Di

Thanks

Di,

I do have Mahr's service file but I am away for the next while.

I'll be glad to send them when I return.

Just as a matter of interest, where did the plane came down?

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 14th January 2015 at 19:46.

Thanks

Thank you Dave that would be fabulous, as you can understand his brother Ernest wants to know as much as he can. We are having slight problems with translation at the moment as non of us researchers speak German and we are relying on a translator. I am not 100% sure of the location, but I know Ernest has spoken to the team that have discovered the crash site and is hoping to visit this year. Not sure if this link will work but it shows the work that has gone into finding the wreckage...https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Part 2 here...https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater
    Di
    Last edited by jack russell; 14th January 2015 at 20:37. Reason: Link not working

Thanks

I would like to correct details in this letter. I am the son of Squadron Leader M.V.Gibbon AFC. My father was born on the 8th March 1912 in Eltham in Kent. My mother was living in London. My uncle was living in Hatch End My aunt was living in Pinner. My grand-parents lived in Hatch End. So did I.
    My father never attained the age of 33 years as the crash occurred before midnight on the 7th of March.

Many more details available if required.
    Regards
    Montgomery.

Thanks

Dave, I know your post is a few years old but I wanted to let you know that the wreckage of Lancaster PD268 was found 2013-14 when Horst Klötzer, a German aviation archeologist, excavated the aircrafts wreckage in Hagen, North Rhine-Westphalia Germany.

Here are some articles:

https://www.backtonormandy.org/the-h...-at-hagen.html

https://www.lwl.org/pressemitteilung...hp?urlID=37578

You mentioned having extraordinary detail in Mahr's file. 1945 addresses of all crew next of kin, etc. William Canning is my father-in-laws older brother. Is it possible to share that file?

Thanks,
    Brian

Thanks

Are you able to share the Mahr’s file? Brian Lane (William Canning is my father-in-laws brother)

Thanks

Hi Brian,

Please PM me an email address and I'll send it.

I have some photos, taken by Horst, of things he found at the crash site. Bent UK coins etc. I also spoke to Ernie Mahr before he went over to visit the site.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 15th May 2019 at 18:13.