Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 473052 Acw 1, Margaret Amelia Knight

Thanks

Default 473052 Acw 1, Margaret Amelia Knight

Margaret Knight died on the 1st November 1944 at RAF Station Tarrant, Rushton. Her Death Cert. quotes "Due to War Operations". Would any member have information on an incident causing her death?
    Grateful for any assistance.
    Tony

Thanks

She is listed as a DOAS in RAF communiques:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1945/1945%20-%200462.html?search=A. Knight

I've seen this term used on CWGC burial files for personel died in Canada, seems to be a generic term. Does her death registration indicate she died on the base or nearby etc.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis

D.C. quotes " When and where died - RAF Station, Tarrant, Rushton" - "Signature, etc. of Informant - Certificate record from J.Hendley Commanding Officer". So I would assume died on the base.
    Her occupation on the D.C. quotes "6644 S.E. RAF" and not being ex RAF I have no idea what that means.

Tony

Thanks

6644 Servicing Echelon I beleive, would be the servicing unit attached to 644 Squadron. I never served in RAF either, tis what the internet was made for.

http://www.rafweb.org/Stations/Stations-T.htm#Tarrant Rushton

The Airfield ORB is typed up here:
    http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/dorset/tar.html

No mention of ACW1 Knight, but you might want to read in greater detail.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Interesting report but all very technical unless there is a unit diary containing personal events like regimental diaries. I did notice that Flying Officer Wyndham-Lewis can't spell NAAFI (NAFFI).

However there is more to my enquiry apart from my general interest in female service casualties where I try to obtain causes of death; I found a second, non-service casualty that made me wonder if there was a connection =

(1) Robert William and Emma Knight (nee Crisp) of 45 George’s Wood Road, Hatfield, Herts. Married in 1920, in Rochford, Essex. They had a daughter, Margaret Amelia who died on 1st November 1944 age 23 whilst serving in the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.

(2) Ronald Ernest George and Ruth Knight (nee Cook) of 2 Selwyn Crescent. Hatfield, Herts. Ruth, age 41 and her eight year old daughter, Irene Maud were killed on 22nd September 1944 by a V1 (Doodlebug). Husband Ronald was serving as a leading Aircraftman in the RAF, there is no record for him on CWGC so he obviously survived the war.

I may be way off beam but both Knight families live in Hatfield, Herts and both have an RAF connection that suggested there could be a family connection, if so could Margaret have been visiting Ruth Knight when the V1 struck and sustained minor injuries that developed into a more serious condition from which she died six weeks later?

There is no indication that Margaret died in hospital so it appears to have been a sudden death from hidden causes or an accident which I would have expected to see in a unit report. Unfortunately Margaret's Service Record is not available to me.

My daughter is still searching Ancestry to ascertain if there is a family connection that might give a lead to an answer.

Tony

Thanks

I have brough this back to the top as I have now discovered that the ORB suggested in post 4 was Form 541 and what I should have searched was Form 540 but I am unable to find a copy on the web. Anybodty have any suggestions please?

I am looking for the cause of death of Acw.1. Margaret Amelia Knight on 1st November 1944 whose Death Cert. quotes "Due to war operations" at RAF Station Tarrant, Rushton.

Grateful for assistance

Tony

Thanks

I have received an email from the Editor of the WAAF Ass. News who gave me the number of a Margaret Griffiths who trained with and was a colleague of Margaret Knight. I have been in touch with her and it appears that she was Corporal I/C Messaging Watch at South West Signals who received the message that LACW Margaret Knight had been struck and killed by a revolving propeller at RAF Tarrant, Rushton at 0750 on 1st November 1944. She was unable to give any further details.
    However, I have ascertained that RAF Tarrant became a glider base in October 1944 and I appreciate that gliders require propeller driven aircraft to become airborne but can any member advice me what function an LACW would be involved in that could possibly bring her into contact with an aircraft propeller?

Tony

Thanks

I don;t think it fair to think of T/R as a 'glider' base. There wre squadrons of halifax based there as evidenced in the ORB's linked to above.

Note that 'aircraft' operations were being carried out extensively from there. They didn't have visiting target tugs coming in to pull them around occasionally.
    Example:
    November, 1944:
    Compiled by Squadron Leader N.H. De V. HEATHCOTE.
    November 1st, 1944: 09.52 hours.
    Operations ‘EXERCISE BEAR’ - seven Halifax combinations from this station joined in exercise to release gliders and paratroops near CHILBOLTON Aerodrome. Some 34 aircraft were engaged, the remainder being provided by No. 190 Squadron and No. 620 Squadron based at GREAT DUNMOW.
    November 10th, 1944: 23.16 hours.
    Three aircraft of No. 298 Squadron and three aircraft of No. 644 Squadron engaged in SOE operations over Holland. No enemy opposition was encountered.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Sorry if I got it wrong but blame the article I read on Google that stated Tarrant was taken over as a glider station in October 1944.

However, that didn't answer my primary question "can any member advise me what function an LACW would be involved in that could possibly bring her into contact with an aircraft propeller?"

Tony

Thanks

Tony,

For excerpts from the Tarrant Rushton ORB go to http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/dorset/tar.html and the link may be found just below the airfield plan. The extracts from the November 1944 ORB are very comprehensive, and include reports from the WAAF and Medical Sections - but no reference to any deaths.

For general interest the ORB links cover 1943 to 1946.

Brian

Edit. The entries for June 1944 are interesting, especially the very last which details the restrictions introduced when the camp was sealed on 2 June 1944.
    Last edited by Lyffe; 26th July 2013 at 16:54. Reason: Grammar