Thread: Hsl/rttl 2552

Thanks

Default Hsl/rttl 2552

Hi,

I've tried searching the forums but something doesn't seem to be working right and its either failing or coming up with a permission denied error so apologies if this is covered elsewhere in the forums.

I've recently purchased the prototype British Power Boat Co Type 3 HSL (Hants and Dorset), her number was 2552. There isn't a great deal left of her to be honest, about 2/3s of the hull, however I plan to restore her externally back to how she looked when she was first built.

I've been in touch with the RAF Museum at Hendon and they have been very helpful, they put me onto the Maritime Museum and also the National Archives at Kew as I'd like to know more about her history, however I'm not sure where to start.

Hendon suggested that I should be able to see some of her life in the ORBs, but having had a look at the National Archives site, it seems to assume I know a squadron number etc, however all I know is that she was received by Calshot in October 1942.

I'd like to go to Kew to do some of the research, but again I have no idea what to look at, they have suggested that the info will be in the AIR, but from what I can see there were multiples of them covering different areas of the RAF, the ideal would be to obtain a digital copy that I can review in the evenings over a period of time, but I'm not sure that is available?

Any tips/pointers etc would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to know more of her history.

Thanks in advance.

- Paul

Thanks

Hi,

Please read the sticky message at the top of each forum index page entitled Forum Search.

It details the fault and why the alternative is better.

as an example fire up Google and put the following into the search box

Calshot mcu site:www.rafcommands.com

One of the links is for this thread

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?850-RAF-Air-Sea-Rescue-Units

Cut and paste into your browser and you will find a post from me listing all the HSL MCU along with the TNA file reference.

in similar manner
    HSL 2552 brings up the following thread from the old board

http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/Data/9480.txt

Again the sticky message on how to access posts on the old thread will help make it more readable

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

HSL 2552 was certainly on strength 32 MCU in Calshot in June 1944. She was even at sea answering a shout on D Day. The last that I can see of her is in September 1944 when she was operating out of Cherbourg with the unit. The Operational Record Book that you are after is AIR29/446. Happy hunting!
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Ross and Jonny.

I visited the RAF Museum at Hendon today and have a listing of where she was stationed and know when she was discharged, next place will be the records at Kew. I must admit, it was our first visit to the RAF Museum and we were very impressed with it.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about her life, its amazing to think she was involved in saving lives.

Cheers

- Paul

Thanks

For anyone that is interested, the first stage for 2552's move from her berth for the last 20+ years has completed, she was moved a couple of weeks ago from Tarleton to Preston Marina where she is currently laying on a Mud Bank, until Monday when she will be floated onto a purpose made steel cradle that will be used to lift and transport her to her new home. All the details have been finalised for her new home and once she is there I'll pass on the details so that if anyone wants to visit they can.

Cheers

- Paul

Thanks

Well done Paul and many thanks for the update.

Look forward to hearing more on this Hants and Dorset Bus Co example.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.