Thread: Vincent Orange, RIP

Default Vincent Orange, RIP

Dear All,

It is my sad duty to report that well-known New Zealand aviation historian Vincent Orange died in hospital at Christchurch this (Monday) morning following a stroke. As some of you may know he had been in poor health in recent years. Funeral still being arranged but possibly to be held on Thursday.

Vincent's works included biographies on notable airmen Johnny Checketts, Keith Park, 'Mary' Coningham, Arthur Tedder, 'Stuffy' Dowding, and Jack Slessor.

His last book - 'Churchill and his Airmen' - is due for publication by Grub Street on 1 March 2013.

Regards,
    Errol

Good morning Errol and thank for passing on that sad news.

Vincent was a well respected historian, as you record, and he was frequently referred to in the RAF Historical Society in the UK.

I enjoyed his biographies, which I often found more interesting and illuminating than some of the 'official' things that were said or published about the subjects of his books and those mentioned within their pages.

Colin Cummings

Hello,

I would have like to meet him when I was around, as I met you or David Gunby.

As Colin has said, I've always enjoyed reading his biographies.

Please transmit my (our) sincere condolences to the family.

Joss

Default His books will be his legacy...

I just read and thoroughly enjoyed his book on Johnny Checketts. RIP Vincent. Another legend is laid to rest. Hope hes gone to join the boys in the sky to fly free forever!

Just last week I finished reading his biography on Mike Ensor, another of his excellent books. RIP

Simon

Such sad news indeed Errol.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Vincent, although I enjoyed a correspondence with him via e-mail while he was writing his book on Tedder.

He was a man of great insight.

Linzee

Thanks Errol for letting us know ,

Vincent was always most helpful.
    Digger.

Default RE:

Very sad to hear. I never met Vincent, but I contacted over email back in 2009-11, and he was most encouraging and helpful. RIP.

Richard