Thread: No 15 squadron bristol blenheim saves village in belgium

Thanks

Default No 15 squadron bristol blenheim saves village in belgium

On the 7th of july 1940 a Bristol Blenheim from no 15 squadron was shot down above my native village of Dudzele in the vicinity of Bruges (Belgium). According to witnesses still alive today but who only receintly came forward the pilot P/O HCM Bamber and his crew Air Gunner George Reid and Observer John Holdsworth avoided a catastrophy and did their utmost not to crash in the village. In doing so the pilot downed his Blenheim into the nearby canal whereby he and his crew perished.
    I was all ready able to trace the relatives of P/O Bamber but I would like some help on tracing relatives of the other crew members;
    Would it be possible for anyone to help me trace any living family members of Air Gunner George Reid who was born in Baillieston (Scotland). He was the son of William Reid and Helena Murdoch Reid and was 28 years old in 1940. Likewise would I like to trace any living relatives of John Holdsworth, the observer of whom I have no further information.

Thank you very much,

Stefaan Calus
    Bruges (Belgium)

Thanks

Stefaan
    There are many Reids living in Baillieston -part of Glasgow There may be some relatives of George among them.
    http://www.btexchanges.com/reid/baillieston.search?type=residential .

You could try contacting a local newspaper , asking about relatives and giving the wartime details, as in your post ---
    http://www.acadvertiser.co.uk/lanarkshire-news/local-news/
    OR
    The Directory
    Category: Newspapers Publishing
    Phone:0141 771 7376
    Garrowhill Business Centre, 68 Whirlow Road
    BailliestonGlasgowLanarkshireG69 6QE

Others may be able to help with John Holdsworth ?
    Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 21st November 2012 at 09:36.

Thanks

i've checked for Holdworth on ancestry.com but no useful returns there, no records, no family trees etc.

if you have to, you might want to request a copy of hsi service file which will give you his date of birth at least and he might be traceable from there, and before anyone says it, yes, you can purchase an edited version of his service file from the RAF but it costs the same as a full one, 30 UK pounds.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelReco rdsOfDeceasedServicePersonnelAndHomeGuardRecords.h tm

Thats a nice handy short website address!!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Stefaan,

I have sent you an email.

Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Follow up and recognition for their action;

In addition to our search for the complete crew there is another question.

Being part of the Dudzele Combatants league (altough there are only 2 left who saw action in the seccond world war-the rest of us are the children and grand chidren of former WWI and WWII combattants) we remember all the falen soldiers of our village in the first and seccond world wars as well as the allied soldiers who died on our soil.

The Blenheim crew is part of this and we are currently in the proces of asking the Belgian government to give them some sort of recognition for their sacrifice wereby they saved our village from disaster.

Likewise our league would like to ask their country of origin which is the UK if a possible recognition of their bravery could be made official in some shape or form.

My question is if anyone has any idea who to turn to to ask this. Would the Minstry of Defence in the UK be able
    to help us or do we have to ask this elsewhere hereby avoiding to get into too much red tape.

Thanks,

Stefaan

Thanks

Default Help re commemoration

Hi Stefan
    A lot of my Dutch friends have memorials to crews in their areas. Heres one example http://en.tracesofwar.com/article/26674/Memorial-Crash-Short-Stirling-Bomber-Markelo.htm
    and another
    http://en.tracesofwar.com/article/812/Memorial-Lancaster-ME-752.htm
    there are also memorials in Germany and France and I think in Belgium to aircrew of different squadrons. I would be happy to put you in contact with some of my contacts if you private message me. If you havent done enough posts then let me know and I will pm you..
    Regards Dee

Thanks

The Poles also have memorials for crews shot down while supplying, or returning from supplying Warsaw partisans in 1944.These are in various areas of SE Poland. A renewal of a memorial, in a village forest, was arranged in 2007 by a man who grew up there .
    There are plaques and memorials, in northern Italy, to crews lost while trying to supply Italian partisans in 1944, arranged by local people and sometimes crew relatives , with help from local mayors and prefects.

Anne

Thanks

Very true. In fact in most countries where our boys are buried. Bless em all.