Thread: MTB reports

Thanks

Default MTB reports

Did anyone come across the reports written by the crews of MTB after picking-up an airmen being shot down over the Channel during the Battle of Britain? If such reports exist, where are they kept?
    Thanks in advance.

Peter

Thanks

If MTBs (MGBs? MLs?) then the RN will possibly have them, if they were kept postwar. Otherwise I suggest the RNLI.

Thanks

Ship's logs are retained at the National Archives, I've never tried tracking down any of the numbers vessels only named ships, and usually carriers and other major warships.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Nearly all the logs of small ships (destroyers downwards) were destroyed. It was considered that they wouldn't be of interest to anyone! A very small number were supposedly kept as samples.

However, action reports were sometimes kept in the War Diary of the command under which the boats operated. These reports will not be in the description of the file so will not show up in the TNA search, you have to take out the file and trawl through it.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Many thanks for your valuable advice.

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

Default R.N. Ships Ledgers (which might contain pilots / aircrew picked up), are Withheld

Bruce

I agree that you can sometimes find information as you say, I have also come across such sightings of our aircraft, picking up crew members amongst the Convoy Reports and other Reports in the numerous volumes of the ADM 199 Series.

As Bruce suggests we are led to believe that most of the Ships' Logs were destroyed (those in TNA are in the ADM 53 Series).

I'm not a Naval Historian and only just getting to grips with the Digests (Indexes) in ADM 12 (TNA) Catalogued by Year and Subject Code (Aviation is Code 90) and finding my pieces in the relevant ADM 199 volumes etc., but if aircrew were picked up, technically I believe they should be entered into the Ships Ledgers, as the ship's crew should also be recorded in them?

However, the last news I had on these was that 13,800 R.N. Ships Ledgers are Withheld. See my other contribution to the "Closed" posting.

Regards Mark