Thread: Mru/ames

Thanks

Default Mru/ames

Hi, I am new to the forum and am currently investigating my late fathers ww2 service record and durint the early years of his service was attached to several MRU/AMES units. However, the web doesn't appear to have much info on the wherabouts of these. In particular the 258 MRU, AMES (Ris Pod ??), 221 AMES, 236 AMES & AMES RP. I have requested estinates of the OR's.

Anyone any idea on where these may have been located. My father spent most of his service in the middle East including the ballon squadrons 972 & 973 for which there is more info available including the BBRC.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome!

AMES = Air Ministry Experimental Station

RP = Repair Park?
    = Regimental Police?

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Ris pod might be

Res Pool? Reserve Pool It would not be a unit as such but a holding assignment on paper so that, as someone said here before, he got paid and got rations and wasn't lost in the great mass of manpower.

incidently, try not use the quote function on the forum when replying, per the sticky note: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?9289-Use-of-Quote-Function
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Mru/ames

Hi , MRU -Mobile Radar Unit , i have much more on this it is a very intersting story , 3 LST'S (Landing Craft Tank) were converted to carry Radar and all the fancy
    gismos of the day to act as Mobile RAF FLOATING OPERATIONS ROOMS Known as FDT'S (Fighter Direction Tenders ) each FDT was assigned a Certain part of the beach head to watch over until MRU was established ashore it was all very hush hush at the time , and even Radar aboard a ship was used during the Anzio landings , there were casulties and in fact one such Canadian MRU/AMES unit were almost wiped out during thier attempted landing during D-DAY .

phill jones

Thanks

Phill, sorry to be picky, by MRU is actually Mobile Radio Unit. They were radar units, but used the term radio.

Coult, as regards locations for the AMES and MRUs, if you can give me a list of the units and the dates, I might be able to help. However, without dates any locations are meaningless - by the very nature of mobile units they moved around and thus I might give a location very different from where your father was. Ideally, if you're happy to email me a copy of the service record, I may well be able to help. My email is ibrown AT radararchive.freeserve.co.uk (replace At with @ and remove the spaces).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brown View Post
    Phill, sorry to be picky, by MRU is actually Mobile Radio Unit. They were radar units, but used the term radio.

Coult, as regards locations for the AMES and MRUs, if you can give me a list of the units and the dates, I might be able to help. However, without dates any locations are meaningless - by the very nature of mobile units they moved around and thus I might give a location very different from where your father was. Ideally, if you're happy to email me a copy of the service record, I may well be able to help. My email is ibrown AT radararchive.freeserve.co.uk (replace At with @ and remove the spaces).
    Thanks IAN for putting me right bw phill

Thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks Ian Brown. email sent with dates.