Thread: Sgt Frederick Joseph John Evans - 561705 - 59 Sqd - Died 14/5/40

Thanks

Default Sgt Frederick Joseph John Evans - 561705 - 59 Sqd - Died 14/5/40

Hi everyone,

Again please sirs could someone possibly provide information regarding the above airman, as in the usual:-

Where based;

Aircraft flown;

Serial No and Code;

Possible crash site.

I've checked FC, CC and BC Losses for the relevant date but nothing to be found, the date and Squadron confirmed as per CWGC website.

Regards.

Steve.

Thanks

Bart's great website has included on his listing:

http://www.epibreren.com/ww2/raf/59_squadron.html

However, it doesn't give all the details.

Blenheim P6926
    Failed to Return from recon.

Crew killed
    F/O P Hawks (Pilot, Army Lt seconded from King's Regt)
    Sgt F Evans (Obs)
    AC1 C Shaw (WOp/AG)

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 3rd April 2008 at 18:17.

Thanks

BTW, Bart, looking at your list, you have Chamberlain listed as missing. Warner in his Blenheim history states that he was wounded and died in Luxembourg Hospital. He seems to link it with N6173.

This is the entry:

"13/05/1940
    N6173 59 Squadron Mk IV: FTR; P/O C Chamberlain (NZ Pilot) wounded and died on the 14th in Luxembourg Hospital, but no details of crew are given in ORB"

A

Bart FM Droog Guest

Well,

I was waiting on Peter Cornwells book to arrive. A couple of days ago it did arrive, but haven't had the time to update/check all different Squadron-pages with the information to be found in that magnificent book.

'Blenheim IV, P6926
    Failed to return from strategic reconnaissance sortie and possibly that claimed by Lt Malischewski of Stab I./JG76 over Sedan, 12.40 pm.
    Flying Officer P.A. Hawks - missing
    Sergeant F.J.J. Evans - missing
    AC1 C.G. Shaw - missing
    <i>F/O Peter Hawks is listed in the records of the CWGC as a Flight Lieutenant.</i>

Source: Peter D. Cornwell, The Battle of France, Then and Now, 2008

He has P/O C Chamberlain in Blenheim IV N6173 (with Sgt Seldon and AC1 Hands); shot down over Belgium on 13/05/1940, believed that it crashed at Neerwinden, 7.30 pm. And states 'All recorded missing on May 14 by the CWGC.'

It looks to me that the hospital part of the story is not correct; otherwise he would have had a known grave - at least, that's what I think.

Regards,

Bart
    Last edited by Bart FM Droog; 3rd April 2008 at 18:52.

Thanks

Default Sgt Frederick Joseph John Evans - 561705 - 59 Sqd - Died 14/5/40

Hi Bart and Amrit,

Thanks again for your response to my query, excellent. Appreciative as always.

Cheers.

Steve.

Thanks

Regarding Chamberlain:

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - a record of New Zealanders who had died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Vol One: Fates 1915-1942)':

Tue 14 May 1940
    British Air Forces France
    Reconnaissance over the Sedan area, France
    59 Squadron, RAF (Poix, France - 52 Wing, British Expeditionary Force Air Component)
    Blenheim IV N6173 - lost without trace, all three crew being commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. While some records indicate that the Blenheim took off and was lost on the 13th others, including the CWGC register, confirm that the crew died on the 14th. Actual take off time is unknown but, being a reconnaissance operation, the sortie would almost certainly have been undertaken in daylight, hence it is unlikely to have taken off late on the 13th and been brought down in the early hours of the 14th.
    Pilot: 40508 Plt Off Croydon Jelfs Edinborough CHAMBERLAIN, RAF - Age 20.
    Valiant Wings suggests that Chamberlain, of the ‘RNZAF’[sic], ‘later turned up in Luxembourg, although he had been wounded,’ but this account cannot be corroborated and may have been based on hearsay evidence.

Update to appear in Vol Three: Recent research in Belgium suggests that the aircraft may have crashed there, at Neerwinden, at about 1700 on the 13th. Unidentified remains of a Blenheim crew from this locality were in 1955 transferred to the Hotten War Cemetery.

Errol