Thread: 91 squadron, Westhampnett airfield, summer 1943.

Thanks

Default 91 squadron, Westhampnett airfield, summer 1943.

Hi,

Would any forum member who has a good knowledge of Westhampnett confirm, from the background of the pictures, if this accident indeed occured on that airfield ? Or from other sources ?

http://www.jean-maridor.org/Bertrand/Spitfire.jpg

Spitfire XII DL-V, X (?) obviously belonged to No. 91 Squadron and on page 90 of Osprey book about the Squadron, Peter Hall wrote in the caption that it was Spitfire XII MB832, but was unsure of the pilot who crashed her. Pictures can also be found in "Spitfire at War" by Alfred Price.Comparison of the Squadron ORB and Maridor's log-book tells us that in the summer of 1943 MB832 was coded DL-S, so it appears that this crashed Spitfire can't be MB832. Or the pictures were taken much later.

Alternative ID for that Spitfire could be MB839.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Bertrand
    Last edited by Bertrand H; 2nd December 2012 at 14:20.

Thanks

Hi Bertrand,

I cannot help you with the location but I am of the opinion that the aircraft is MB839 (DL-V).

My reasoning is that the Spitfire looks like a "write-off" (Cat. E) whereas MB832 seems to have stayed intact until failing to return from an operation on 23-1-44.

a15.

Thanks

Hi,

I have had a private message explaining that this wreckage of MB839 (DL-V) has been photographed in sping 1944 when Mk XII left 91 Squadron and they had transitioned to Spitfire XIV. Definitively not a photo taken in Westhampnett.

bertrand

Thanks

Hello

I've been researching the loss of Flight Sergeant Hymas on 23rd January 1944, and there are conflicting sources about the Spitfire XII he was flying when he was shot down. Peter Hall in his book says he was flying MB832, while the Squadron ORB states he was flying EN234. It seems that this Spitfire was coded DL-X.

I'd welcome any comment about this loss.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

EN234 could not have been lost on 23/1/44 as this was the aircraft being flown by Squadron Leader Anthony Lovell when he had a fatal crash near RAF Station Old Sarum on 17/8/45.

MB832 is recorded in the Spitfire production list as failing to return from a Ramrod operation on 23/1/44 while with 91 Sqdn.

a15.

Thanks

Hello,

There are so many discrepancies in No. 91 Squadron ORB that I wanted to have others' opinion.

Indeed, the form 541 of the Squadron ORB has F/Sgt Hymas failed to return on EN234 on 23rd January 1944. Still, exactly two lines below, it has F/O R.A. McPhie flying EN234 the day after, again on the 25th, 26th, 28th, 29th (twice) and on the 31st...

Can someone confirm MB832 flown by Hymas on the day he was lost was coded DL-X ?

TIA

Joss