Thread: RE: POW questionnaire

Thanks

Default RE: POW questionnaire

Dear All,

I was wondering about the POW questionnaires that were given to returning aircrew in 1945? I have the relevant copies of the “general” questionnaires, which are to be found in the WO344 series, but I believe there was a second, and much more detailed form. Indeed, I have a photocopy of the blank copy of this form, which is to be found in AIR 14/1233.

Where would the completed copies of this second questionnaire be currently housed? Would the forms still be retained by the MoD? Or, were the questionnaires never actually issued to returning aircrew POWs?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
    Richard

Thanks

Richard.

My understanding is that the second type were those made post return to the UK these were more detailed and made in order to gather greater information on interesting individuals.

Thanks

Hi

I believe that there are indeed two forms. I have had a copy of the original too and it contained little info, however the Air Historical Branch had a form and this contained much more information. It may be worth while getting hold of them now based at RAF Northolt.
    Hope this helps.
    Fred

Thanks

Default RE:

Hello,

Thanks for the information about the other form being held at RAF Northolt. I will certainly try there. I think for anybody interested in the loss of a particular bomber an examination of these forms are essential - the blank copy of this runs to 4 pages long, and contains 17 questions about all aspects of the bomber's loss.

Regards,
    Richard

Thanks

Hi Rich

The AHB address is as follows:

AHB2A (SO2)
    Air Historical Brance (RAF)
    Bently Priory Building
    RAF Northot
    West End Road
    Ruislip HA4 8NG

Tel 020 88338162

When I contacted them I gave them a precise description of what I was after and gave them what info I had on the Lossof my Great Uncles Lanc, and they were to be honest brilliant and did loads of work for me. I cannot fault them. So it may be worth getting hold of them as they will have a mich better idea of what went on. It does take a good 2-3 months though but they are thorough.

Good Luck

Fred

Thanks

Hello,

I'm wondering whether you are refering to a "K report" or "K file" ?

Is is possible to have a look at the blank form you're mentioning, to compare with these reports ? Some pages are held in TNA in Kew, and there's a section in this website listing them

http://www.rafcommands.com/kfile.html

All in AIR 14/ like your blank form.

Joss