Thread: Kangaroo badge

Thanks

Default Kangaroo badge

I have a photo of my cousin's first husband Sgt Frederick Anderson in which he is wearing a kangaroo badge on his uniform. Has anyone else seen one of these? My cousin has told me that every member of the crew of Lancaster W4373, which was lost on a mission to Dusseldorf 11/12 June 1943, wore one of these badges as their pilot was Australian. This was the crew.

Pilot - Flying Officer P.R. FORD R.A.A.F.
    Flight Engineer Sergeant R.A.C. AVERY
    Navigator Sergeant J.A. OSBORN
    Air Bomber Sergeant G.W. TWITTY
    Wireless Operator Sergeant M. HARRIS
    Mid Upper Gunner Sergeant F. ANDERSON
    Rear Gunner Sergeant M.W. STONE

Recently I saw one of these kangaroo badges offered for sale on e bay, there was no reference to any RAF connection, but I just wondered if any other Australian crews would have worn them.

Pauline.

Thanks

Hi Pauline,

Could you send me a copy of the photo to harley.158ATbigpond.com replace the AT with the usual.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Hello,

A rather indistinct shot of the Kangaroo badge worn by 626653 Sgt (Air Gnr.) Frederick ANDERSON RAF, appears here:

http://www.tom.forbes.dsl.pipex.com/12squadron/html/album.htm

Scroll down to photograph: 12 Squadron: Sgt Frederick Anderson

There are also snaps of AUS414132 F/O (Pilot) Patrick Raymond FORD RAAF, and his crew, in the album.

Col.

Thanks

Hi Col,

Thanks, I have seen these photos and have been in touch with the Museum at Wickenby and those who posted the photos, the one of Andy, Sgt Anderson is exactly the same as mine, but no-one can shed any light on the badge.

Pauline.

Thanks

This could be the 'ROO CLUB' issued by the Dominion Parachute Company.

'Goldfish Caterpillars & Guinea Pigs' publication which is recently printed provides details of this with a badge of a Kangaroo described above a parachute.

Thanks

Hello Colin.

Afraid not ! None of the men mentioned by Pauline were members of the "Roo Club".

The "Roo Club" lapel pin was in the shape of a hopping kangaroo, 23mm at its widest and 14mm high. It was worn by means of a long vertical pin with a fretted section for secure holding. On the reverse of the pin is the gold mark '9ct', on the neck of the kangaroo. Most pins also have the members Roo Club number on the reverse.

Club members also received a rectangular, silver oxidised bronze plaque, which depicts a kangaroo suspended under a parachute, as mentioned by you. 126 were issued, with at least three(3), unamed examples being sighted.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 13th December 2012 at 23:37.