Thread: RAFVR crew of 428 Sqn RCAF

Thanks

Default RAFVR crew of 428 Sqn RCAF

I was just looking through some of the threads and wondered if any of you more knowledgable members could help?

I am looking for any extra details of the 3 crewmen of LK635 from 428 Sqn. Details I have are from the CWGC site but this is all I can find. From what I can make out these crew members service records would be of limits to me as they are no relation, is this true?

F/O H.E.McRae RCAF J/20195 KIA (Pilot)
    Sgt W.E.Dickson RCAF R/156913 KIA
    Sgt E.G.Miller RCAF R/183626 KIA
    Sgt Donald Ernest Jeffery RAFVR 1862968 KIA
    Sgt Arthur Reginald Bohn RAFVR 1415741 KIA
    Sgt J.Wright RAFVR 1590868 KIA (my relative)
    Sgt Leonard Cotton RAFVR 1516171 KIA son of Leonard & Nellie Cotton, Sheffield

I have already sent a request for one of the Canadian crews records, also I have asked for an add to be placed in the canadian Legions magazine looking for relatives but it is the RAFVR crew members that are proving very elusive. An e-mail to a sheffield paper has not been fruitful in locating relatives of Sgt Cotton and as he is the only one that states where he was from, I am now stuck as where to look next.

Also does anyone know what the J & R stand for in the RCAF service numbers? If any other details for any of these men can be found I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help

Rgards

Nick
    Last edited by big tyke; 4th April 2008 at 22:13.

Thanks

Nick,

RCAF service number prefix "J" for aircrew commissioned officers and prefix "R" for all non-commissioned ranks, aircrew and groundcrew.

Thanks

thanks for that Ken

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Nick,

Have you searched for the men you mentioned on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial?:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Hi Bart

Yes I have got the details for the Canadians off the website you suggested . many thanks.

I am having more difficulty with the British crew members. From my previous post again the CWGC may have some extra details i am not sure. I am still working on that. but i will not hold my breathe there.

Regards

Nick.