Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War Grave Chester (Blacon) Cemetery

Thanks

Default War Grave Chester (Blacon) Cemetery

Hi All,

If any of my UK friends live near Chester could they take a photo of the grave of Sgt N L Wachter 425911 RAAF who was killed at 00.29hrs on the 8/9/43 and is buried in Section A, grave 199 he was at the time on a Wellington BJ621 attached to 12 OTU two others in the crew are also buried in the Cemetery and two are on the Runnymeade Memorial.

Many thanks ,

John.

Thanks

As per my earlier PM I have been sent a copy which I can email to you. Please PM me your email address.

A

Thanks

Default War Graves

Hi Amrit,

Many thanks my email jwilliamsATpnc.com.au just change the AT for the usual.

Best Regards,

John.

Thanks

The grave numbers given by CWGC for Blacon bare no resemblance to the actual location of the graves. When I last went, a few years back now, I spent an afternoon rearranging them into a logical order so I get the three crew from BJ621 as Row 19 Grave 22 (Wachter) and 23 (Lawrence) and Row 21 Grave 4 (Morrow).

With row one being the eastern most and graves numbered from north to south.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Default War Grave Chester (Blacon) Cemetery

Good morning fellas,

I'm the grandson of John Robert Dunne RCAF F/O J41844 that was killed on 18/11/1944. I've been doing tons of research to try to find out about the details of his crash as all infos that ever filtered through the generations was that he was killed in a training accident when my father was in the womb.

I've petitioned to obtain copies of the full military record from the library of archives in Ottawa but due to back log it will take them some time to process this request.

I really am looking for any data or details at all and so far have only come up with Blacon cemetery Sec. A. Grave 846 along with the above listed information. I've read that this information is often not accurate however and no one has ever made the trip to verify this.

Any one who may have any advise or light to shed would be truly appreciated. Anyone who may actually pass through and could take a snapshot... I would be incredibly grateful.

All the best to the community at large and thank you for your significant contributions.

Rick

Thanks

never mind, completely wrong message! Friday evening!
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 21st January 2011 at 16:20.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I don't have a photograph of his grave, but it is the 5th row back from the gatehouse and 7th in from the right hand (northern) perimeter.

He was killed in Spitfire AA933 of No.61 Operational Training Unit which dived into the ground at Wynnstay Park, just South of Ruabon, Denbighshire. The crash site was adjacent to Afon Eitha at the base of a fairly deep ravine.

The Operations Record Book for the nearest R.A.F. Station at Wrexham recorded the crash and stated it took a week to recover John's body from the ravine.
    Alan Clark

Thanks

Default Thank you very much for taking the time to reply

I have to ask, where did you get these details? Was there any reason indicated for the crash beyond "dived into ground out of cloud"? In your opinion, does that mean that he likely lost control during a manoeuvre?

Do you know if he was ever part of a squadron or would that also mean he was likely killed before being released from training?
    Last edited by 2AplhaRick; 21st January 2011 at 21:47.

Thanks

I obtained the information from various places, mostly unit and station Operations Record Books at the National Archives.

Dived into ground out cloud was recorded in the relevent Air Britain books and copied onto the internet. That tends to have come from the Air Ministry accident record card. The phrase usually does indicate a loss of control by the pilot, either through manoeuvring, icing or turbulance.

I don't know anything about his service record other than he received his commission in January 1944, but there a few people on here who may well have what you're after.
    Alan Clark

Thanks

Default Grave photos

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    I don't have a photograph of his grave, but it is the 5th row back from the gatehouse and 7th in from the right hand (northern) perimeter.

Always worth a try- post on the relevent county on www.rootschat.com. Folk on there are great and have taken many photos for me. Pete