Thread: F/O George Nevill Conyngham Smyth (RAFVR 141352) + KIFA 26th June 1944 -

Thanks

Default F/O George Nevill Conyngham Smyth (RAFVR 141352) + KIFA 26th June 1944 -

Good morning to all!
    I am looking for details of F/O George Nevill Conyngham Smyth (RAFVR 141352), who probably was killed (33 years old) as a Flight Instructor (or on aircrew training), on the 26th June 1944.
    ANY details of his dismise + aircraft involved (serial number/or Squadron/unit) will be of interest.
    Thank you in advance,
    Adriano S. BAUMGARTNER

Thanks

Was there any recorded crash, this day at Nš 5 SFTS at RAF Ternhill, nearby?
    Maybe this airman was a Flight Instructor there....maybe...

Thanks

George Smyth's death is registered on page 801 of the death register in Thorne district, England.

On the adjacent pages are (and I've checked these against CWGC for that date)

F/O Smyth George N C 141352 Age 33 Thorne 9c 801
    Sgt (Flt Eng) CHERRY James S 2209539 Age 20 Thorne 9c 802
    F/Sgt Lugton Reginald G AUS/428278 20 Thorne 9c 802 <------------ Note RAAF airman, check the Australian Archives
    Sgt (Air Bomber) Smallbone Edward 906002 Age 24 Thorne 9c 802
    F/O (Nav) Splane Edgar C 154056 Age 28 Thorne 9c 802
    Sgt (Flt Eng) Yates Bruce H 1895282 Age 19 Thorne 9c 802

For any airman killed in England or Wales check their death registration in freebmd.org.uk and then other names on the adjacent pages.

And if you search the Australian natiaonal Archives with Lugton's service number gives you:
    LUGTON, Reginald Gordon - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 428278; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Halifax V DG395; Place - Thorne, Yorkshire, United Kingdom; Date - 26 June 1944

Halifax DG395 and the transcribed names on the file index confirm the names above.

The Australian Nominal Rolls gives his unit on death as 11 Base, that would be an administrative posting I imagine.
    http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/NameSearch.aspx

the Roll of Honour gives us more accuratly

1667 Conversion Unit

So, 1667 Heavy Conversion Unit.

http://www.awm.gov.au/research/people/roll_of_honour/

And you can request Lugton service and casualty fiels to be scanned for viewing on the National archvies website.

Some of the tricks of the trade, you might try to use some of these for your further queries
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 21st December 2012 at 09:42.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis,

Thank you AGAIN for the quick answer, as well as for the tips about researching dead airmen. You indeed supplied me with new "toys" and references to cross-check, which I didn't know (so far).
    This will probably help other researchers as well, so THANK YOU very much.
    The CWGC did not register the Training Units, so this is why it is difficult, sometimes, to match or find additional information.
    I am again in debth with you for the most precise information and very helpful indeed!
    If you ever come to Brazil, do let me know. I will gladly show you a bit of the country and reciprocate your kindness.
    Yours most gratefully,
    Adriano Baumgartner

Thanks

Hi Adriano,

Halifax Mark V s/n LL366 'M2' of 1667 Heavy Conversion Unit. Crashed shortly after taking off from Sandtoft on a night bombing exercise. Location of crash near Thorne in West Yorkshire.
    Possibly struck power cables.

Source: RAF.Org Casualties-1944.

a15.

Thanks

Could Malcolm maybe comment on this old thread, was the offending aircraft LL366 per your wedsite or DG395 per the Aus NA.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

My apologies

I took the info from Chorley Vol 8 and accidentaly wrote the serial from the entry above, Smyth was on board DG395

Malcolm