Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible 1404 Met Flight loss

Thanks

Default Possible 1404 Met Flight loss

I have a copy of the reminiscences of Jack Stephens, a navigator with 1404 Met Flight from April 1941 until October 1942. He started as a Sergeant and was possibly promoted to Flt Sgt by the time he left to attend a Staff Navigator course at Cranage.

He refers to the loss of a Blenheim on a met reconnaissance sortie and describes the crew as Sgt Watson (pilot), Sgt Hemmings (navigator), an un-named Wop/AG and a new navigator; the four-man crew was unusual and I must assume the extra navigator was included for training since the navigators did the met observing. He gives no dates, but I have reason to believe the loss must have been between 1 October 1941 and June 1942.

Stephens describes Hemmings as being a good friend, but my problem is that I'm unable to find a Hemmings who fits, listed by the CWGC . Unfortunately I have no initials.

I'm beginning to wonder if Hemmings survived and spent the war as a POW and failed to renew the friendship after the war.

All very vague I'm afraid and I'd be grateful for guidance.

Brian

Thanks

Default Possible 1404 Met Flight loss

Hello Brian

There are 4 Hemmings in the POW list

Best regards

rene

Thanks

Brian,

Search for Arthur Hemming. Loss occured 08 Dec 41.

Blenheim IV Z7370

Source: Coastal Command Losses Vol I - pg.167-168

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Thank you both for your responses, and I apologise for the incorrect spelling of Hemming.

That helps identify the pilot as Sgt Leonard Watson (748600), Andy; are the other crew members listed by any chance? There is no record of the unit by the CWGC.

Brian.

Thanks

Brian,

Only three crew members are listed:

Sgt L. Watson (748600) as you have identified
    Sgt A. Hemming (923520)
    Sgt A. Bess (1172554)

All missing, no further details.

Perhaps Stephens' recollection of there being a fourth member, an additional observer, are mistaken in this instance.

Cheers

Andy
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Hello,

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?4299-Unaccounted-airmen-8-12-1941

Col.

Thanks

Thanks Col, but I think "The Bristol Blenheim" is probably in error in that Albert Bess was definitely killed on 8 December - see http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1 .

Brian
    Edit: See also http://www.rafdavidstowmoor.org/pages/crash_log/crashlog41.html .
    also
    The aircraft departed St Eval at 0744 hours and was never heard from again ("Even the birds were walking"), so the Hammon reference seems a red herring.
    Last edited by Lyffe; 23rd December 2012 at 00:18.

Thanks

Brian,

The point l was making, was that 1256282 Sgt Robert Arthur "HAMON" RAFVR, was possibly the fourth member of the crew of No.1404 Met Flight Blenheim IV Z7370, lost on 8-12-1941.

GRO War Deaths indicates this is so (albeit, quoting an incorrect unit for three of them).

These four airmen:

748600 Sgt Leonard WATSON RAFVR +
    923520 Sgt Arthur HEMMING RAFVR +
    1172554 Sgt Albert BESS RAFVR +
    1256282 Sgt Robert Arthur HAMON RAFVR +

Are all commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial, and mentioned as, "MISSING", in Flight. January 29, 1942. p.104. Cas. Comm. No.105.

I also recommend you take a look here:

http://www.stmawgan.org.uk/BoR/1941.htm

Let's see what Ross has to say about this.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 23rd December 2012 at 05:29.

Thanks

Hi All,

When CCL went to print Hamon was noted as a possible but with three crew confirmed for the Blenheim and the similarity of Hemming to Hamon I did not have enough confidence of source to add a additional crew man.

Since then I continued work on eliminating other losses for Hamon and now would be more confident in adding him to the loss as a strong possible.

My hesitation in using the GRO misprint is that on a few occassions I have found that loss of a HMT can result in a Runnymede listing and a GRO unit of the unit before overseas draft. Easy to make 2+2=5 from the computer screen but, in this case, I have yet to find a possible other cause for Hamon.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross,

Thanks for your comments.

Merry Christmas All.

Col.