Thread: Flying control officers log-more questions

Thanks

Default Flying control officers log-more questions

I know I'm pushing my luck here, but one more from this log.

21.01 Oxford RPM landed from Duxford
    21.11 Oxford RPM took off for Duxford

I presume an ,Oxford aircraft on some messenger service, only stopped for 10 minutes so just time to drop off person or paperwork-or possibly small equipment.
    Any clues on 'RPM'

TIA
    Paul H.

Thanks

No. 288 Squadron operated Oxfords from May 1943 to May 1945.

Their squadron code letters were RP, so I presume the aircraft noted by the flying control officer was 'M' of 288 Sqdn.

a15.
    Last edited by angelsonefive; 29th December 2012 at 03:49.

Thanks

Ray, thank you for the contender to my question.
    However 288 squadron was an anti-aircraft unit , not based at Duxford in May 1943.
    Other 'strange' aircraft are noted as S/405 for example being 405 squadron letter S
    making this M/288!!
    But my thanks for your interest and taking the time to reply.
    Paul H

Thanks

Out of interest the response from the IWM at Duxford only adds to the dilema,

'With effect from 01 April 1943, RAF Duxford was handed over to the 78th FG of the US 8th AF, then operating P-47 Thunderbolts. Although a support cadre of RAF & WAAF personnel remained at the station during April & May, there were no RAF a/c on strength, the last squadrons & special units having been transferred elsewhere during 25-26 March.
    RAF communications & transport a/c continued to visit, but – most unfortunately – we have no matching Control Log for 1943-45, during the American period of residence, & there’s no mention in station ORBs of anyone from Duxford visiting, or being posted to, Toesland or Graveley on 05 May.
    Moreover, the initials ‘RPM’ in this context are as much a mystery to staff of the IWM Duxford as they are to you. As well as being primarily a trainer, the Oxford was also used for communications, light transport, radar calibration & as an air ambulance. Like you, we can only speculate that the meaning might be something like ‘Radar or Radio – Passenger – Mail or Messenger’, because these initials are not defined in any RAF directory or dictionary of which we are aware.

We could, however, be wildly wrong'

Any more ideas?

Thanks

I've just replied to Joss with some detail on MSI - Movement Serial Indicators. I think that the FCDO logged the arrival with the alpha part of the MSI.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?14169-Bomber-Command-form-Y

He would have arranged to send the arrival and departure messages for RPMXXX as part of his daily duties. This action set the foundations for overdue aircraft actions.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

thank you Ross, but I'm particularly thick! so are we saying the Oxford flew in from Duxford and flew out for Duxford 10 minutes later was RPMxxx?
    thus he RPM is a part of an aircraft ident number- being aircraft M of RP squadron- as was suggested by Ray and tgus was part of288 squadron?

Many thanks,
    Paul H.

Thanks

No nothing to do with the the letters or any other physical markings on the aircraft.

Take a bag of scrabble letters and draw out three at random. These are now the first part of the MSI for any movements from your house for the next say four hours.

You plan to go to the papershop and shortly afer return then go to the nearest large town, all in the morning, Then in the evening go to the pub.

You walk to the papershop but before you go you phone them to say arriving 10 mins and the MSI is RPM 301 (or whatever letters you drew from the scrabble bag plus a sequential non repeated number). Off you toddle, in 20 mins if you have not arrived they will send out the search parties.

When you arrive you say RPM 301 so they know it's you. To show that you arrived the duty server phones back to your house RPM 301 arrived, he also notes it in his diary but because it's morning rush just RPM will do as it means your house, any thing else can be sorted out if required.

After you buy your paper you say bye bye and the papershop duty server phones up your house and says RPM 301 left should be with you in 10 mins. Now getting writers cramp he records it as RPM left in his diary eg Paul RPM arrived 07:06, Paul RPM left for home 07:16.

When you get back into the house your home duty scribe phones the papershop and says RPM 301 arrived. The papershop guy is bored by this time and cannot be bothered to list this call in his diary as it really does not concern him.

Now 10 mins after you arrive you set off for town. However 4 people from your house have now left to go on other trips before this. No point in using RPM 301 again as if you crash the car on the trip to town the police may get confused and start looking for you on the route to the papershop so you use RPM 306 to show that this is a new trip.

All the procedure for the papershop trip is again done by the bods in town but using the MSI RPM 306 eg some dude in a car RPM arrived 10:10, some dude in a car RPM left 12:30.

In the evening for your trip to the pub some other house has drawn RPM out of the scrabble bag because your alloted time for use has expired. You now draw a new three letter group OMG and the procedure starts again for all your trips in the evening.

Same system in use for controlled airspace in Air Traffic Control today, only difference is Heathrow and all the other airports do not change their ident code every few hours,

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Ross,
    Many thanks-I now get the principal. I do still wonder what caused an aircraft to 'drop in' for just 10 minutes from a nearby airfield,especially when so much other landing pressure was on.
    Do you mind if I copy your explanation to IWM Duxford?
    Paul H.

Thanks

No problems with the links - may be best to add the one for MSI answer to Joss as well.

It is possible that the Mess committee at RPM had sanctioned a quick pick up from the American PX at Duxford hence the lack of detail elsewhere or WAAF return from a party.

Plenty of other ways communication aircraft were used in supported uses beyond official purposes. The kipper run to Scotland and whiskey trip to Ireland spring to mind as does the V Bomber base Rugby Bus where the staich "drove" the team to the away match in the Comms Flight aircraft but spent the match in the bar and so a designated pilot in the team had to fly the lot home after the match.

Regards
    Ross