Thread: 38 Squadron 'ops?' 1955/6

Thanks

Default 38 Squadron 'ops?' 1955/6

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is a little off-board but I wondered if anyone could help me with a series of 'ops' relating to 38 Squadron during July/August/November/December 1955 and January 1956.

Flying Shackleton IIs' 38 Squadron flew a series of sorties denoted 'Falcon II' and 'Marso' during these months. Normally I would put these down as training missions but in a copy of a logbook I have they have been numbered (1-19) which usually denotes some form of operational sortie. Some flights (Falcon II) seem to have been flown fron Nicosea and some (Marso) seem to have been flown from El Adem,

Googling is not helping at all; they probably are training but could anyone help any further.

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Thanks

Russ, Hi,

I was at El Adem in the early/mid-50's.

Shacks were detached from (I think?) Gib and/or Malta.

There were operational sorties down into the Sahara. We were told that they were for the UN and were trying to locate caravans carrying drugs, slaves (white or otherwise!), etc. The 'real' reason may have been to locate arms smugglers who were carrying weapons from Egypt into Algeria/Tunisia/Morocco? Did we really help the French?????

They also flew operational missions over the eastern Med in the search for weapons smugglers attempting to land 'stuff' in Cyprus (for one side or the other!!!). I flew on a number of these. Why they were mounted from El Adem, and not Nicosia, I never did find out - but I was only a Met airman!!!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

And another instance of differences.
    The Shack (at least the ones I flew in - with mid-upper turrets still in place) was prone - so I was told - to 'swing' a bit as they lifted off. This could cause the tail-wheel to 'castor' past the 45-degree mark (Junior Co's take-off?).
    We had two of these while I was at El Adem. They tried all sorts of wheezes, whilst airborne, to get the tail-wheel back the right way. No luck!
    On landing, the tail-wheel was torn off. The arse-end dropped on to the deck. The bottom of the rudder fins wore away until the perspex tail-cone got severely abraded.
    Beverleys flew large crates containing replacement parts out from UK. Blokes from BDRF (then at Abingdon?) arrived on the MedAir. They had to hammer/chisel/screw/bash the 'new' bits on to the knackered a/c. One lot liked it at El Adem and took 6 weeks to do the job (working mornings only as one did, at that time, in them parts - and laying about on the beach in the afternoons). The other lot hated the place, and did the 'Meccano' bit in a week!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Great answer Peter, thanks,

Loved the anecdotes too!

Cheers,

Russ