Thread: HURRICANE 14 August 1940 Niton Radio SOS

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default HURRICANE 14 August 1940 Niton Radio SOS

I have several large photocopy sheets of the General Post Office British Coastal Radio Station Distress and SOS for much of August 1940, part of a large series of complete, serial numbered lists covering the whole of WW2, held at BT, Holborn.

For GPO reference 665 Hurricane 14 [date column for August 1940] Niton SOS A [all noted 'A' apply to Aircraft].

I see on a GPO Monthly Return of Distress Broadcasts for August 1940 for aircraft reported in Distress over the Sea in Air 2/4520 file that RAF Gosport [No.17 Group Distress Area HQ according to a 1940 Air Min Confidential Order] asked Niton Radio W/T Station to transmit a Distress Broadcast on the 14th August 1940.

There is absolutely nothing about the 14th August 1940 & 15th August 1940 aircraft SOS Distress Broadcasts in the No.17 Group ORBs, nor RAF Station Gosport ORBs either. Also nothing regarding most of the other SOS Distress calls RAF Gosport (No.17 Group) handled!

Any other official documentation about these SOS incidents please?

AIR 15/676 Air-sea Rescue [No.16 Group], does not seem to mention the above either (although some others listed in August 1940 are mentioned in Reports in the AIR 15 file). Also no mention in the RAF Calshot and No. 30 ASR Craft Calshot ORBs about SOS calls being received, or any action taken.

Surely there ought to be record of the Hurricane 14 August 1940 and some of the other aircraft reporting in Distress (not amongst the Reports in AIR 15/676)?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 2nd January 2013 at 23:38.

Thanks

Hallo Mark,

Have you a time for that Hurricane distress call on the 14th ?

I am assuming it was off the south coast of England due to the mention of Gosport ? Because (almost) all fighter losses around this time are well known one would think it must be one of the existing Fighter Command losses. Unless it was from an OTU.

Could it be Hurricane L1739 of 43 Squadron ? Sergeant Herbert Francis Montgomery was lost when his aircraft crashed in the sea 7.15 p.m. after an interception 40 miles south of Beachy Head.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Default SOS

Mark

Does the fact that it sent an SOS / distress message necessarily mean that it failed to return, or could it have been damaged yet still managed to get back to a nearby airfield or some other landling place? Are there any more details about this type of messages or this particular one?

As Martin says, you'd imagine that most BoB losses have been pretty well researched by now.

Just a thought.

Ian

Thanks

Default 14th August 1940, 1650hrs One Hurricane Crashed into the Sea 2 Miles from Bournemouth

Hello Martin, Ian, Ladies and Gents

I have found another reference in the 11th Infantry Brigade War Diary (Brigade HQ was at Burley). Unfortunately, the HQ War Diary does not give the Unit reporting it to HQ.

14th August 1940 [Time column states] 1650 One Hurricane seen to crash into the sea about 2 miles from Bournemouth. Pilot baled out but up to 1930 hours he had not been picked up.

Gosport was the nearest RAF Distress Area HQ and the distress broadcast was made from GPO Niton Radio, IOW to shipping etc., in an attempt to locate and pick up the pilot.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 11th January 2013 at 11:31.

Thanks

Default No 609 Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hood View Post
    Hello Martin, Ian, Ladies and Gents

I have found another reference in the 11th Infantry Brigade War Diary (Brigade HQ was at Burley). Unfortunately, the HQ War Diary does not give the Unit reporting it to HQ.

14th August 1940 [Time column states] 1650 One Hurricane seen to crash into the sea about 2 miles from Bournemouth. Pilot baled out but up to 1930 hours he had not been picked up.

Gosport was the nearest RAF Distress Area HQ and the distress broadcast was made from GPO Niton Radio, IOW to shipping etc., in an attempt to locate and pick up the pilot.

Mark
    The time is puzzling but, it could be F/O Henry McDonald Goodwin (Spitfire Mk.I N3024/PR-?) who was shot down around 17.30 (Ramsey: The battle of Britain, p. 357) off Bournemouth and killed.

Thanks

Hello Ankita

Since you posted, a search of note books and a collection of photos of files taken since 2000 is ongoing. My memory is not too clever and I may even be searching the wrong years in the notebooks, so that I can email you a copy of the actual document

I'm afraid my personal collection has become unmanageable, relying on notebooks. One CD is refusing to open and a backup set is being looked at.

A local historian contact has committed his photos back to microfilm!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 25th April 2015 at 09:21.