Thread: Harvard in 1940

Thanks

Default Harvard in 1940

Hi guys

Considering that the RAF had several hundreds (?) of AT-6 Harvard advanced trainers in 1940, were there plans to arm them to help counter the anticipated German invasion? Or perhaps some were?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Interesting point!

I can't say whether the Harvard was ever armed in the timescale you mention but in the 1950s, they were used in Kenya against the Mau Mau and were equipped with a range of light weapons. Apparently quite successfully.

In UK in the period around the possible invasion, some Master aircraft were made capable of having a fixed Vickers gun fitted but how many were deployed and whether any of them were used - perhaps as point defence - I don't know.

As a general point, many aircraft, such as the Defiant and Hurricane, were deployed after the BofB in small groups to many stations around the country. Besides point defence, they were also used to try to intercept enemy recce aircraft and 'tip and run' raiders.

I'm sure someone knows all about the subject - it would make an interesting book to supplement those about the 'real' fighter aircraft.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Yup and how!

All the OTUs and training units were involved in various parts of "Plan Banquet"

The summary version:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Banquet

For the official version at the TNA:
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=583384&S earchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=AIR14%2F1126

The ORBs of some the midland EFTS describe alerts and dispersals when the Invasion Alert was given.

Although dismissed as some internet researchers as impotent I look to the effects of No.4 FTS at Habbaniya against the ground troops. Only with the senario of complete air superiority would the German forces be untroubled.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Many thanks Ross

I wasn't aware of the codename!

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Further Colin's Miles Master comment.

In the Summer of 1940, the RAF had 24 Miles Master I RR Kestrel-engined advanced trainers re-equiped as "fighters". The second seat was removed along with some of the excessive cockpit glazing, and three .303 Brownings installed in each wing - and the subsequent aircraft redesignated the M.24.

Later some (most / All ?) were passed onto the OTUs but I am unclear if they retained the armament.

Ian

Thanks

Thanks guys

I believe I've now got the gist of it.

Cheers
    Brian