Thread: Wing Commander Walker

Thanks

Default Wing Commander Walker

Gents,

A long shot here. A member of the association informs me that a W/Cdr Walker was set to take over No.218 Squadron on the departure of W/Cdr P.D Holder DFC in August 1942. The ORB does not mention W/Cdr Walker at all ( it does not even mention the posting of Holder ) There was a month when S/Ldr Samson signed the ORB, but again no mention of W/Cdr Walker. My questions are 1) can anyone confirm that there was a W/Cdr Walker around this time and 2) did he assume command of a squadron between August - September 1942.

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default ACM Sir Agustus Walker

Hello STEVE,

I've searched briefly....and found some WALKERS with that rank (Wing Commander) at that time...I've only found one match (SO FAR..maybe other replies will led you to the correct airman though), which seems to be (at that time) Wing Commander George Augusts Walker, DSO, DFC (RAFO 36019).

You can have a look at his short biography there: http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Walker_G.htm

Yours must sincerely (hope to have matched your man)
    Adriano S. BAUMGARTNER

Thanks

It couldn't have been Gus Walker, as he was a Group Captain in command of RAF Syerston at that time, before becoming Base Commander at Pocklington.

Malcolm

Thanks

Default Only owls and bloody fouls fly at night by G/C Tom Sawyer, DFC

MALCOLM,

I was re-reading (checking some parts of Only owls and bloody fouls fly at night by G/C Tom Sawyer, DFC) and came around Group Captain Gus Walker's name...I would suggest this name here, but you already discarded it...so maybe another airman?

Yours,
    Adriano S. Baumgartner

Thanks

Hi Andriano

What I was syaing was that Gus Walker couldn't have taken over from Paul Holder at 218 as he was already a Gp Capt in command of RAF Syerston and he is not listed in any biographies as being CO of 218.

Malcolm