Thread: 35 Sqn Lancaster with mine (or bomb) underslung?

Thanks

Default 35 Sqn Lancaster with mine (or bomb) underslung?

In my correspondence with a former 35 Sqn crew member he mentions that during an operation against German strongpoints round Brest in France, the crew carried "a huge land mine underslung, as it would not fit into the
    bomb hold." the A/C.

Apart from this not corresponding with the ORBs description of the bomb carried ("28x7 Hd.Fls."), would anyone know what he could refer to? My only knowledge of something similar would be the bouncing bomb (Dambuster), Grand Slam or Tallboy.

His only operation to Brest would be Point des Espagnol and Point Ile Longue on 25 August 1944.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Alan Coopers 'We act weith one accord' only mentions that
    'On the 25th (1944) the target was Brest. On the 26th (1944) the target was keil from which F/L Knobblock PB-971-J failed to return.
    Looking at the orb's it looks like a complex operation that night with variuos targets around Brest.
    With more than one aircraft designated 'master bomber', suggesting that 35 was marking for the main forve for each of these specific target areas within Brest.
    Sorry can't give anything more, but I will keep my eyes open as I read and re-read the reference books I have.
    Good luck,
    Paul H.

Thanks

Hi chaps,

28 pieces of bombs looks to me a little bit strange. Bat as Pathfinder it should be 28 xx Flares?

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

According to the ORB the crew acted as P.F.F. 'Illuminator'. Therefore, I am pretty sure, that the ORB refers to flares, and does not refer to 28 bombs underslung.

But could other a/c in the Brest operation have had bombs/mine that fit the description of the airman?

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

The 582 Squadron ORB shows many bomb loads going to Brest on Aug.25 as being "28 x 7" hooded flares" some were were listed as "28 x7" flares".
    The RAF Little Staughton ORB also states for 582's targets (6 around Brest): "METHOD. The targets were to be marked initially by green TIs by Mosquitos. Other a/c were to drop sticks of illuminating flares and the aiming points were to be marked visually by red and yellow TIs. A Master Bomber was to give instructions to all a/c."
    Cheers
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 7th January 2013 at 15:01.

Thanks

Thank you, all. With Dave's addition, we are know sure what the ORB stated as the aircraft's load.

But these would not have been underslung, so it still leaves me wondering what he is remembering. He could have mixed up the operations.

Mikkel

Thanks

Mikkel,

This is the wrong time period but right Squadron. In the spring 1942 attacks on Tirpitz 35 Squadron Halifax crews carried naval Mk XIX spherical contact mines that had been modified. Due to their size and shape it wasn't possible to completely close the bomb bay doors.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Linzee
    Thank you. That might be the operation he thinks of even if he did not participate.

Mikkel

Thanks

Default RE:

Dear All,

Speaking of large bombs, a book I have read recently (H. Yates, Luck and a Lancaster) mentions that he dropped an 8,000ib 'blockbuster' (p. 188).

Incidentally, the book is highly recommended - particularly for those who are interested in 75Sq and New Zealanders in Bomber Command.

Regards,
    Richard