Thread: Spitfire loss, 17 September 1942

Thanks

Default Spitfire loss, 17 September 1942

A Spitfire crashed and exploded on a hilltop at Aberargie, Perthshire, on 17 September 1942. I am seeking details of the identity of the pilot and aircraft involved. The only potential match I can find on CWGC website - but not a convincing one - is 115146 P/O R C Lynch RAFVR of 501 Sqn, which was based at Middle Wallop at this time. P/O Lynch is buried at Fulford Cemetery. Suggestions gratefully received.

Keith

Thanks

Keith,

From ABS 'W1000-Z9999' I note the following:

Hurricane I Z4180 of 56OTU dived into ground 2m N of Glenfarg Reservoir on 17-Sep-42, believed due to anoxia

I have the location as Ardargie Mains, 2m NNW of the reservoir, and believe the pilot to have been F/L DFH BROWN

Details of this loss are remarkably similar to those you describe, and would thus appear to fit your loss, unless of course you know different

dg

Thanks

Glenfarg House being at Aberargie (~1 miles south) seems to be one of the same, below is the ORB entry from No.56 OTU. I know Glenfarg could be described as being further south, but I don't think it matters.

September 17th 1942, “Flying accident to Hurricane I Z42810 – Pilot F/Lt D.F. Brown was killed at Rossie, Ochill, Nr Perth when aircraft dived into ground at very high speed. Pilot was carrying out practise height climb in section to 25000ft.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Lynch was lost in EP871
    regards
    DaveW

Thanks

Default 'Spitfire' loss, 17 September 1942

Thanks to all - that this was a Hurricane checks out with my own noted from 56 OTU ORB and Air-Britain 'Z-serials' which says 2 mls N. of Glen Farg. That's not far off Ardargie. My original source was AIR 29/618, Perth ORB, which said hilltop at 'Andergie' but which I thought might be Aberargie.

Keith

Thanks

Hi,
    All locations are correct for Hurricane I Z4180... here goes.....
    The hurricane crashed on Culteuchar hill which is 2 miles NW of Glenfarg Reservoir , the hill is behind Ardargie Mains and also behind Rossie House.

Alan.

Thanks

Thanks.
    Keith