Thread: RAF MR Wreckage Index

Thanks

Default RAF MR Wreckage Index

Hi-With regard to high ground aircraft crash sites for the UK-I am searching for a full copy of an RAF document which was compiled in the 1960's and titled "Royal Air Force Mountain Rescue Wreckage Index".A few years ago I contacted RAF Kinloss but they did not have an archive copy.

Regards,Philip
    55 Aircraft Accidents Research Group

Thanks

Around 1975 Kinloss MRT gave me a copy which was the starting point for a lot of research and expeditions into the mountains of Scotland. The document was not particularly accurate as it's purpose was as a quick reference to existing visible wreckage in the event of a search taking place. Some references just said "wreckage" some gave a type which was not always correct, there were no serials, unit etc. Kinloss MRT did undertake a survey of known wrecks around 1975 also an expedition to Soay to identify the Wellington and the recovery of an American crewman from the Vindicator in the bog at Allt on Tor.
    The book "High Ground Wrecks" contains the same information but with more detail.
    As a starting point it was good but with the invention of the Internet and Google my list for Scotland has grown arms and legs over the past thirty odd years.
    I'll have a look for a copy but can't remember when I last saw it.

Alan.

Thanks

I have another list similar to this somewhere which contains high ground crashes across the UK. Map references are reasonably accurate although often the aircraft type is not.

I believe this info may have something to do with the Mountain Rescue Teams in Scotland too but I am not too sure.

A mystery crash at Limestone Knowe in the Cheviot Hills is listed with a note of small remains. I suspect this to be DH60 Moth G-ABGM which crashed in the area in the 1930's but I have yet to locate anything after several trips and no witnesses have come forward yet.

I'll see if I can dig my list out during the week.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Is this not the sometimes handwritten list that a former RAF servicemen made that I passed onto you. If so I still have that complete file too. A great many errors as far as I seem to remember.
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

Hi Scott,

Mine is a printed/typed list with some additional handwritten changes to the details. Can't recall where I got it from now but it does include a couple of map references in Scotland on mountains I have no record of a crash.

I can pass it on if you want to take a look, subject to finding it of course!

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

The list was put together by the late John Hinde BEM, a past leader of Kinloss MRT.

Keith

Thanks

Philip
    I have left you a private message

Anne

Thanks

Default Wreckage Index

Hi-I have been trying for years to track down a copy of this RAF document.If any forum member is able to help as I would like a copy.It would be interesting to know if the original RAF MR Wreckage Index was updated in other available editions ? before it was turned into the excellent book "High Ground Wrecks" by David J.Smith of which I am in contact with.Just to note that I have 3 different editions of David's "High Ground Wrecks".The Wreckage Index is certainly a rare brief document to get hold of.Thanks for your replies.

Anne-I research both military and civil aircraft crashes in my local area which is anywhere south of the River Tyne,Wearside and County Durham including Weardale and Teesdale.

Regards,Philip M.Smith
    founder member of the 55 Aircraft Accidents Research Group

Thanks

Philip
    Thanks for replying
    [not Italy then ] .
    I believe there was a wartime crash in Robin Hood's Bay but I don't know anymore .A contact there saw it when a boy growing up in R.H.Bay

Anne