Thread: Sqn Ldr Robert C. F. Lister DFC, 14 Sep 1940

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr Robert C. F. Lister DFC, 14 Sep 1940

OC 41 Sqn, Sqn Ldr Robert C. F. Lister DFC, was shot down and baled out of Spitfire Ia, R6605, on 14 September 1940. Besides a general location of Kent, can anyone pinpoint a nearer location of his bale-out or landing, please?

No location is mentioned in the 41 Sqn ORB, Hornchurch ORB, 11 Group ORB & Appendix, available Combat and Intelligence Reports, or in contemporary works such as RAF Fighter Command Losses, Hornchurch Scramble, Spitfire The History, or in a search of the internet.

I appreciate this leaves few if any other sources, but I was hoping someone may have had contact with Gp Capt Lister before he died in 1998, or sighted his logbook, or have a note from any other source that might answer my query, please.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr Robert C.F.Lister DC, 14 Sep 1940

Steve,

Have you tried the War Diaries/ Archives of Kent Police?

Whilst researching some a/c crashes in Devon and Cornwall I have found some valuable information in these records, that has supplemented 540/541's etc. Got to be worth a try.

Colin

Thanks

Hello Steve,

Whether this helps or not; 'Aircraft Casualties in Kent part 1' has the entry

"Spitfire 1 R6605 41S Chapel Lane Staplehurst
    Shot down during a squadron patrol. Exact circumstances not known. S/L Lister baled out wounded. Based Hornchurch. S/L Lister has said himself that he crashed near Canterbury."

Does the last sentence refer to him personally, or to the aircraft?

regarda
    DaveW

Thanks

Hi Colin

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know where I find these reports? Are the in the NA, too?

Hi Dave

Thanks for the addtional details. As the entry starts "Chapel Lane Staplehurst" and ends "near Canterbury", the entry certainly is unclear, so I understand you querying it.

Ideally, I would like to ask the authors directly (G.G. Baxter, K.A. Owen, and P Baldock), but as the book was published in 1990, 23 years ago, I wonder if that's even possible. Looking at the publisher, Meresborough Books, they don't appear to have their own website, and don't appear in Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2012 (although that may not necessarily mean anything). They are listed on a business directory under "booksellers" (as opposed to "publishers") at Unit 7, Spade Lane, Sittingbourne ME9 7TT, and wonder if they're still publishing at all. They've published a number of books, but nothing since about 1998. Are there any contact details in the front of the book, by any chance?

Unfortunately, the 41 Sqn ORB is very scant on detail for the operation that Lister was wounded on, so I can't rely on it to indicate whether one of these locations might fit circumstantially. In fact, as Canterbury and Staplehurst are some distance apart, that appears to complicates things further.

Regards
    Steve

Thanks

Steve

I have sent you a PM

DaveW

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr Robert Lister DFC

Steve,

In the case of Devon and Cornwall Police their archives are held at Force headquarters, not sure about Kent Police.
    Their force HQ is at this address ,Sutton Road, Maidstone, Kent ME15 9BZ. Worth a letter. Alternately a search of the NA site may bear fruit...

Colin

Thanks

Thanks Dave. I have PM'd you a reply.

Thanks Colin. I could not find anything on the NA website, so have just written a letter to Kent Police HQ. Good thing is that I can name the date, pilot, a timeframe and other details to make a search of records easier for them. Thank you for the address details.

Regards
    Steve