Thread: Hurricane fatality 17 Feb 1945, Lahore (Walton). Wg Cdr K K Majumdar DFC Bar

Default Hurricane fatality 17 Feb 1945, Lahore (Walton). Wg Cdr K K Majumdar DFC Bar

Wg Cdr K K Majumdar is the only DFC and Bar the Royal Indian Air Force has ever had.
    http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Pe...-Majumdar.html

Cranwell trained - his name might be familiar due to the recent publicity surrounding the sale of his medals in the UK. (whose purchase was committed to by the IAF).

He died in a Hurricane crash during an aerobatics display at Walton (Lahore - current day Pakistan) on 17 February 1945. The aircraft apparently failed to pull out of a dive. It belonged to the short-lived IAF Display Flight (Whose ORB I am unable to trace at the NA).

Does anyone know of the aircraft's identity - and if any CoI , Accident Card (Ross?) or reports or dispatches published of that accident? (Beyond what is available on the Internet....)

Added Later:
    1. RAF Kohat records that Majumdar may have been performing "Slow Rolls" when he crashed
    2. The event was a "Sports Day" event for No.1 Recruit Training Center at Walton.
    3. Approx time of accident was after 1530 Hours (A book on Majumdar written in 1946 states that - so does the program for the Sports Day)
    Last edited by Jagan; 19th April 2015 at 19:28.

Hi Jagan,

Hurricane LE950 from the F1180

Pilot did two slow rolls and attempted a third at 1500 ft.

F412 C of I carried out, result annotated as "aircraft spun off roll"

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2016 - All rights reserved.

Ross,

Amazing! I didnt think one existed.. and thank you!

This is the first ever 'official record' of that accident I have heard about...
    (yes the Kohat ORB mentioned the bit about 'slow rolls' but this is better!)

Majumdar returned from the european theatre of operations where he was flying higher performance aircraft like the Typhoon and Mustang.. A return to flying the slower Hurricane may have contributed to his death.

Added Later: Would the C of I document survived anywhere?

-Jagan
    Last edited by Jagan; 24th April 2015 at 03:07.