Thread: No 134 Sqn Thunderbolt questions

Default No 134 Sqn Thunderbolt questions

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm seriously thinking building a RAF Thunderbolt scale model after having seen this IWM picture depicting "four ground crew of No. 134 Squadron RAF loading a 500-lb GP bomb, beneath the wing of "Jungle Queen", a Republic Thunderbolt Mark II".
    http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207714

Fortunately for me, Xtradecal done a decal sheet with "Jungle Queen" nose art and GQ-B white codes for this specific plane. Unfortunately, the serial is unknown. I guess there is no chance to learn more on the serial and sub-type of this Bubbletop P-47D ?

As I'm not familiar with RAF P-47, is this a US or a British 500-lb GP bomb loaded here ?
    And what about the camo ? Dark Earth / Dark Green / Medium Sea Grey in British paints or US similar color ?

By the way, further "investigation" on Internet lead me to a book titled RAF Thunderbolts by Mr Geoffrey Thomas. I'm curious to learn what can I expect to find inside ? Is there more recent publications on this subject ?

Thank you for your help.
    Regards,
    Olivier.

Hi

I am not sure you will get an answer to this here. I suggest you try Britmodeller http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...forum/23-wwii/

Steve

Hi Steve,
    Thank you for the link. I will try it ;-)
    Regards,
    Olivier

Hi Olivier,

The aeroplane you enquire after could well be HD196, a Thunderbolt Mk II. The colours you mention are correct but would probably have been applied in India over an earlier factory applied scheme. this sometimes resulted in odd shades as the paint weathered.

The late Mike Bowyer in one of his camouflage books quotes GQ-B as KL339 but as this was not delivered until February 1945 or later, then this would not tie up with the "Happy Christmas" on the IWM photo. It is more than likely that KL339 would have had a natural metal finish anyway at that date.

So HD196 is a possibility but I regret I cannot prove that. In addition most thunderbolt artwork was done on the large removable panel on the cowling, so it was possible that it could be transferred to a different aircraft if needed.
    regards Peter