Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No.107 and 110 Squadrons – Summer 1940

Thanks

Default No.107 and 110 Squadrons – Summer 1940

Hello,

I am looking for details (...or O.R.B. excerpts) about missions carried out by Blenheims of No.107 and No.110 Squadrons during nights of 19-20, 22-23 and 24-25 August 1940. (Targets and if it is possible involved planes and crews.)

Best regards,
    Frederic

Thanks

Hello Fred

From No. 110 Squadron ORB :
    night 19/20 August : 4 sections attacked airfields of Bourges, Orléans, Villacoublay and Chateauroux. 6 aircraft bombed successfully and one bombed Chateaudun as an alternative. Remaining aircraft failed to locate the targets and did not bomb.

22/23 no operational flight

23/24 : 4 sections of 3 attacked airfields of Beauvais, Bourges, Villacoublay, Abbeville, Chateauroux, Rouen-Boos, Orléans-Bricy, Amiens and Angers. Six aircraft bombed primary, one bombed an alternative target and five were unable to locate target.

Too much typing to copy the form 541... contact me off board.

I'll have a look later to check if I have No. 107 Squadron ORB for August 1940.

Joss

Thanks

Hello

From No. 107 Squadron ORB (form 540)
    19 August : training
    20 August : 9 aircraft were detailed to stand by for night operations. This was cancelled in the early evening. I understand it meant the night 19/20.
    22 August : 9 aircraft were detailed to attack aerodromes in France by night, and the first aicraft took off at midnight. One at Bourges, one at Chateauroux, one at Tours, one at Angers, one at Beauvais unable to locate target owing to low cloud, one at Orléans, one at Amiens, one at Abbeville, one at Villacoublay unable to locate the target owing to presence of low cloud.
    24 August : 10 aircraft were detailed to attack aerodromes in France by night, and the first took off at 22.00 hours (I believe during the night 23/24)
    One at Villacoublay (W/C STOKES) but was unable to locate target due to low cloud, so bombed an aerodrome in the Lille area. One unable to locate Bourges, bombed Vierzon-Ville. one at Chateauroux bombed Bourges, one to Rouen-Boos unable to locate, one to Beauvais but failed to take-off due to a taxying accident, one at Villacoublay, another to Beauvais unable to locate, one at Orléans, one at Abbeville, one at Amiens unable to locate, so bombed Abbeville instead.

Hope this helps.

What is the target you're researching ?

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,

Thank you. In March 2009 I sent a message on this same forum but at that time I had not much more information than those below:

19-20 August – 37 A/C for night attacks on airfields in France, Holland, Belgium ….21 airfields bombed. Chateauroux, Bourges, Orleans-Bricy, Chateaudun…

22-23 August – 33 A/C – Harassing night attacks on enemy occupied airfields and again…Bourges, Chateauroux, Orleans, Tours.

24-25 August – 25 A/C – Airfields in France, Holland, Belgium. Among those attacked were Dinard, Lannion, Brest, Rennes…and once again Bourges.

Answers I received didn’t give the involved Squadrons but one of the answers said it was Blenheim bombers from No.2 Group and after several months of researches to locate the good Squadrons I succeeded to locate 2 Squadron which could fit with the target I was looking for. By my last message on this forum I wanted to confirm my research work of these last months before buying the ORBs (August 1940) of these Squadrons at the National Archives.

So Joss, thanks a lot for your invaluable assistance.
    Frederic

PS: I sent you a message on your private emails addresses because I have two providers: Aol and Orange.

Thanks

Hello

I received no mail, either through Orange or aol.

I can provide digital pictures I took of the microfilms at Kew.

Joss

Thanks

Bonjour Joss,

I think you had now the email.

Regards,
    Frederic

Thanks

Hello Joss

I'm sure I have been to TNA, Kew regarding 107 Sqn already just for the night of 14/15th August 1940 and wanted to re-check please if one aircraft from 107 Sqn on an Op to the Aerodrome at De Kooy (recorded in the AIR 14/2666 night Raid Sheets) was mentioned in the ORB and wondered if you have a picture, or any other information regarding this single aircraft Op to De Kooy that you might have?

I also wondered if the ORB mentions the Station/s that 107 Sqn were operating from in mid-August 1940 please, as I see Wing Commander Jefford's book for RAF Squadrons gives Wattisham, with detachments at various other places? As it might be mentioned in the Station ORB, which I can check.

My email is still registered in my details, if you can assist, thank you.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 10th October 2013 at 12:03.

Thanks

Hello Mark

I'll check the Squadron ORB when I'm back home. I've also copied some bits of Wattisham ORB, but I'm afraid not August 1940, but I may have some pages from the appendices, with intelligence forms.

Will e-mail you.

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss

Thank you for offering to check that date.

Regards Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark,

The No.107 ORB does not record any operations on the night of August 14th 1940. I quote :

Twelve aircraft stood by as a battle section from 0430hrs until 0800hrs.Training carried out in the afternoon under flight arrangements"

For the entry recorded as August 15th the following :

"F/Lt Roe, however attacked DE KOOY aerodrome, Holland the results were unobserved"

It would appear that the squadron dispatched 12 aircraft to industrial targets in Germany, six did not depart due to unfavourable weather, of the other six, five returned early due to lack of cloud cover.

F/Lt D A J Roe was skipper of Blenheim R3718, take off 09:50hrs - Landed RAF Wattisham 12:00hrs

Cheers

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~