Thread: Opinions Needed Please.

Thanks

Default Opinions Needed Please.

I was thinking of Purchasing a copy of Mason's book on the Hawker Hurricane. Do other forum members have any opinions on this publication, is it accurate and a worthwhile reference source? Or is there a better alternative publication out there that I seem to have overlooked. All opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Colin

Thanks

There isn't a better one. It has its faults, particularly in the definition of early Mk.IIs and whenever the aircraft goes abroad or to sea, but is more comprehensive and detailed than others. You might consider the Crowood book as an alternative, but I don't rate it as highly.

Thanks

Hello

I found it strange that the production list is not complete. Some batches are just missing.

Also, the latest edition (the one I have) was not "current" about the survivors and Hurricanes returned to airworthiness. Obviously this is a "moving" subject. But the last point is less interesting for those only interested in the historical details of the machines.

Joss

Thanks

Colin

Personally I think that Mason’s is the best (by some margin) of the Hurricane histories, but it does have its problems. The book reminds me in some ways of some of the Putnam titles covering the products of major British aircraft manufacturers in which the authors have relied excessively on company records and paid little attention to Air Ministry ones. As an example Mason goes hopelessly astray on the origins of the Hurricane project, the reasons for the ordering of the prototype and how the aircraft became “roped in” (as Dowding put it) to the mainstream fighter programme. Instead he seems to view the whole thing as something of a Private Venture by Hawker. There are also some specific semi-technical issues where I’d take issue with Mason’s treatment: an example being his insistence that early cannon Hurricanes were fitted with Oerlikons when all the evidence from official files is that from day one they were fitted with Hispanos. There are several others – some of which Graham has highlighted in his post.

On balance though, it’s a good read and does a good job of covering what is after all a very wide-ranging story. I think the book has been subject to several phases of revision over its life and, if you’re thinking of buying a used copy, I suspect the more recent edition(s) may be the ‘best’. The copy I currently have is the Crecy edition from 2001.

HTH
    Niall

Thanks

Default Opinions Needed

Thank you for your responses, as always valuable input and insight. I shall order a copy, but get as recent an addition as possible, Thank you

Colin