Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAF Bomber Command Target Number Refs

Thanks

Default RAF Bomber Command Target Number Refs

Gents,

Need help identifying the following targets :

A.336 - A.248 - B.40 - B.101

The period is 1940. Has anyone a list of targets with these references they can share?

Kind regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve

B,101 Central Power Plant at Mannheim
    B.40 Central Power Plant at Hattingen
    A.336 Principal Coking Plant at Bottrop
    A.248 Principal Coking Plant at Essen

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross,

Much obliged.

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Steve, but I wonder if Ross can identify these three BC target numbers for me please?
    circa 1940, Z57
    A10
    M461.
    Many Thanks.
    Bill.

Thanks

Hi Bill,

Not a problem. I have A.10 Oil Plant Hamburg. I have over the last few days been working on a list with the help of Hans, I have to date 231 codes. There are hundreds more !!!

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Thanks for that Steve, I admire your stamina.

Thanks

Hello Bill,

The prefix "M", indicated Marshalling yards/rail facilities;

M461 = Schwerte.

"Z" indicated Aerodromes;

Z57 = Schiphol.

A partial listing of BC Coded Target Identities (100+), can be found here:

Aircraft for the Few:The RAF's Fighters and Bombers in 1940.
    Bowyer,Michael J.F.
    Sparkford:Patrick Stephens Ltd.,1991.
    pp.171-3.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 21st January 2013 at 23:45.

Thanks

Brilliant Col, much obliged.

Thanks

Default Target Codes

Hi Steve

I put something on the forum on this subject a few years ago (had had to look into it when I was researching 214 Sqn's wartime ops and was doing 1940). Don't know if you can find it in the archives via Google? Can't recall offhand precisely, but the thread title might well have been something like 'BC Target Codes 1940'.

I know it involved cross-referencing two sets of codes, set out in a couple of books up at Kew.

Let me know if you can't locate my post and I'll see if I can find it. It listed some of the target categories and you never know (long shot), I might even have looked up the precise targets you've referred to - if 214 visited them.

Regards

Ian

Thanks

Default BC Target Codes 1940

Hi Steve

Here's a copy of the general note that I did before. Looks like it was on the old forum. Hope Ross doesn't mind me repeating it here. It might well be useful for others who haven't seen it before. The target lists were hugely detailed, even listing individual factories producing different 'war-useful' items.

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?forum=DCForumID6&mark=17243&az=previou s_topic&archive=yes

---------------------------------

"Air 10/3994
    (a book of over 100 pages, dated November 1940)
    "Bomb Targets in Germany - Conversion Table Air Ministry Number to New Operational Number".
    Initially, it seems, all targets had been given an "Air Ministry Number" (I don't know where that was used) and an "Old Operational Number". This latter is the one such as you have asked about: "D2", "D11" or whatever.

At about this time in 1940 it seems they changed all the target codes so this book is a list of 3 columns so you can convert the "Air Ministry No." and the "Old Operational Number" to each target's corresponding "New Operational Number". However this book, as the name says, is just a 'conversion table'. It doesn't tell you what the individual targets were, although it does show that the "Old" codes were split into categories and sub-categories.

But if you then look in:
    Air 10/3993.
    (200+ pages, dated September 1940)
    "Operation Numbers of Bomb Targets in Germany" that will tell you what each target was, from looking up its 'new' code.

So for example:
    Air Ministry Number "1(a)(ii) 7" / Old Operational Number "A.7" became New Op No "GQ - 1632".

Both books are set out into sections, based upon the Old Code initial letter. I was pleased to see that I wasn't far out in my earlier guess of these target groups:

"A" targets are the 'Fuel Group'. This group is broken down into sub-categories for 'Oil Refineries'; 'Synthetic Oil' (targets A61 through to A120 for example); 'Oil - Stocks and Reserves'; 'Underground Storage'; 'Oil - Machinery'; 'Coke Oven Batteries'; and 'Coal Gas Works'.
    "B" targets are the 'Power Group' (again numerous sub-categories, including 'Power Stations', 'Reservoirs', 'Dams', etc)
    "C" targets = 'Chemical and Explosive Group' targets
    "D" = 'Naval Armaments'
    "E" = 'Land Armaments'
    "F" = 'Air Armaments'
    "G" = a mixture of 'Aircraft Components', 'General Engineering' and 'Electrical Engineering' targets
    "H" = 'Aerodromes'
    "K" = 'Air Depots', 'Air Parks', and 'Aircraft Stores and Equipment'
    "L" = 'Mining and Metallurgy'
    "M" = 'Transportation' targets including 'Canals' (M1 to M9), 'Railway Sidings' (M101 to M124), 'Railway Marshalling Yards' (M430 to M508), and 'Bridges' (M131 to M170)
    "N" = 'Foodstuffs' and 'Soap Factories'
    "P" = 'Tele-Communication Factories' and 'Optical Glass Factories'.

Each individual target is then named by reference to its New Operational code in the second book.

So referring to your query about targets "D2" and "D11", by using these books in combination you find:

"D2" lies within the sub-category of 'Shipbuilding Yards - Building Warships' of the 'Naval Armaments' target category (Target group 'D') and was re-coded as "GR-3587". That is then specifically named as "Hamburg - Blohm & Voss Komm. Ges. Auf Akt".

Similarly "D11" became "GR3576":
    Again 'D' = 'Naval Armaments' target group with "D11" in the Warship Shipbuilding Yards sub-category, and specifically:
    "GR3576" = "Bremerhaven - Deschimag Shipyard (Seebeck yard)". "