Thread: Group Captain R.C. Dawkins

Thanks

Default Group Captain R.C. Dawkins

Hi All,

I am looking for information on Group Captain R.C. Dawkins. I know he was a wing commander in May 1941 and in 1946 was group Captain at RAF Tengey, 45 SQD.

Am trying to find out which wartime units he commanded.

Kind Regards,

Chris Goossens

Thanks

Found out via the London Gazette his full name was Robert Cecil Dawkins, 27251. Promoted from Sqd Ldr to Wing Commander on the 10th december 1940 and from Wing Commander to Group Captain (substantive) on the 1st July 1947. I assume he will have been a wartime Gp Capt with a temporary rank.

Anyone any clues how to find out the units he served with????

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Chris,

He (or another Grp. Capt. R. C. Dawkins) is mentioned on this page a few times: http://members.aol.com/famjustin/Westonbio3.html
    It's the biography of Peter A. Weston, Brigand Radio Operator/Radar Navigator, 45 Sqdn, Tengah Malaya, RAF, circa 1950.

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Hoi Bart,

Yep, already found that page and it is indeed the same guy....just want to find out what he flew during the war (he was a pilot).

Cheerio en groeten,

Chris

Thanks

Chris,

There might be some information on him in 'Jeff' Jefford's 45 Sqn history, 'THe Flying Camels'. Unfortunately there is no index to its 500 or so pages.

Errol

Thanks

I would also be interested in information on Group Captain R.C.Dawkins. I remember him well. He was a great friend of my late father, and as a schoolboy I had my first flight in a D.H. Rapide when he was C.O. at R.A.F. Hendon in the early '50's.

Regards,

Andrew Finn-Kelcey.
    Quote Originally Posted by goofy View Post

Quotye removed. Read the sticky.

Ross

Thanks

Default Group Captain Robert Cecil Dawkins

Known as Cecil, was my grandad's brother. I didn't know him personally, but as he didn't have any children, his documentation went to his brother, and now to me. I am looking into my family history, and wanting to find out more about him, as he seemed a very interesting person. If this is the same Group Captain RC Dawkins, then I can tell you that he was made a Commander of the British Empire on 18/09/1951. I may also have some other interesting information on the RAF aspects, but am in the process of sorting through old photos, documents, etc so watch this space!

If Mr Finn-Kelcey has some memories of Cecil, I would love to find out more from you - before Cecil died I believe he lived in Newton Blossomville, Bedfordshire, I expect we are talking about the same person?

Regards,

Helen Smallwood