Thread: Introduction (and looking for details on 149 Sqn Stirling EF 140)

Thanks

Default Introduction (and looking for details on 149 Sqn Stirling EF 140)

Hi there,

I'm current RAF and have come over here from WW2 Talk (most of my relatives were in the Army!).

Currently researching 149 Sqn Stirling EF 140 that was lost on 25 Jun 1944 as I am taking my troops to Etaples and intend to pay respects to members of the crew interred there.

I've got some stuff, but am open to anything members can offer to help enlighten the (potential) future of the RAF.

Roxy

Thanks

Hi Roxy
    From "Bomber Command Losses" Vol 4,by W R Chorley,the a/c,coded OJ-B, took off from Methwold at 2359 on 24/Jun to attack V1 sites at Ruisseauville. It came down in the sea off Boulogne,the reason not given. 5 of the crew of 7 were washed ashore and buried in N France. F/L G R B Roe RCAF,pilot, Sgt W A McDougall, F/E. and Sgt A Barber,Rear Gunner are buried at Etaples,F/O H R Murray,W/op is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, and W/O R W G Bryant is in Pihen-Les-Guines. P/O I W Harland , Nav, and Sgt T H Williamson,M/U Gunner have no known grave and are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial they were 19 years old and Chorley records that Harland was the youngest Navigator to lose his life in Bomber Command.
    At the time the Allies were ashore and attempting to break out of the D-Day beachhead, Boulogne was still in German hands so it is possible that the Germans brought the a/c down and also buried those whose bodies were recovered. The two on Runnymede may also have been recovered and buried but were not identified at the time or since.
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 21st January 2013 at 13:31.

Thanks

Hello

Apart the 3 members of the crew of EF140 buried in Etaples, navigator Henry Ross MURRAY is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, and wireless operator air gunner Richard William George BRYANT is buried in Pihen-les-Guines. That Stirling crashed in the Channel, and two crewmembers have no known graves (HARLAND and WILLIAMSON). The Squadron lost another Stirling crew that same night, captained by F/O WUNSCH. Stirling LK394 crashed in Lisbourg, and the whole crew is buried in Fruges.

Do you have portraits of these men ? or contacts with the families ?

Joss

Thanks

Hi Dick/Joss,

Thanks for your prompt replies. I believe that EF 140 was shot down: claimed by Lt. Eric Jung of 6./NJG2 at 2,100M over Dieppe at 00.28hrs.

I am not related to any of the crew, nor do I have any portraits. However, I am in comms with Alan Fraser of 149 Sqn Association, so may be able to remedy that.

I'm off to Etaples and - more through luck than judgement - decided that we would commemorate this 149 Sqn loss.

I'll keep you all informed of my progress, as I wait with baited breath!

Roxy
    Last edited by Roxy; 21st January 2013 at 14:28. Reason: spool chook!

Thanks

Photo of George Roe here: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem/photos/2279204
    Cheers
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Thanks, Dave.

Roxy

Thanks

A bit of background on Roe here: http://www.rbc.com/history/in_remembrance/ww2_list-r.html#roe
    Roe was mentioned in Despatches Jan.14/44 - http://airforce.ca/uploads/airforce/2009/07/ALPHA-RO.2.html

Thanks

Dave,

Thanks!

Just in case anyone is interested, Flt Lt Roe's MiD is listed in Issue 36329, 3rd Supplement to the London Gazette of Tuesday 11 Jan 1944, dated 14 Jan 1944.

I mention that 'cause it took me a while to find it!

Roxy