Thread: 1550191/149679 William McNeil RAFVR

Thanks

Default 1550191/149679 William McNeil RAFVR

A while back I asked about Great Uncle http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?527-William-McNeil and got some basic information on him, I hadnt really done much more til recently but when I did some more checking I found his Wife and Son had both passed away around the time I Was asking on here so no one left on his side to contact - I applied for his service record and today got the letter in with a very disappointing sheet giving almost nothing of use - the only extra I found was his date of enlistment 13 May 1941.

I'm struggling to think what to try next so thought I may as well post in case anyone can help identify his squadron - hopefully hes on a list someones made up from ORBs or something - its clutching at straws I know.

Regards

Alistair

Thanks

It'll be a struggle with so little information from the RAF Alistair, and I know what you mean about the lack of info; I got one page for an RAF aircrew, and twenty pages for a fellow RNZAF aircrew mate.
    Is it worth trying to see if there are any nephews/nieces still around. Someone must have cleared the house?

Thanks

Hi Jake,
    I agree its a struggle - I had hoped the information I got back would have given a squadron or something that narrwed it down but no such luck. The only relatives are my Mum and her Sister and Brother but while they had been in touch with Willie until his death, they quickly lost contact with his son Robert and as I say I only just found out he died - he would have cleared Willies house but no idea who cleared his as there was no close family.

My best option at the moment is to go check local papers in case I can find any little mention of him - as mentioned on the other thread he had been a footballer so maybe considered worth a mention - I actually found more info on his Dad who did play around 300 games for Chelsea including appearing in the Khaki Cup Final of 1915.

Thanks

Alistair

Thanks

I assume the search you made for Service Records was at RAF Disclosures at Cranwell?
    The other search route might be in 'the islands' you mention, which will be Oronsay, Colonsay or Tiree maybe? All of the islands off the west coast are small and there will likely be connections who will have known of him, but you'll need his mother's name to trace him by.
    Scotland's People is the best search site for links to his family connections...................
    Next door neighbours to his son might know where his stuff went after the house clearance...........or Social Services?

Lots of avenues Alistair, but I suspect you've been along them.
    If I can help let me know.

My location; Fife.

Thanks

Hi,
    Yes it was Cranwell, I guess I may need to apply again in another 10 years or so when its been 25 years since his death.

It was Arran he lived - at least his last few years - I have his death certificate through Scotlands people (got this to apply to Cranwell), it was from this certificate I found his sons address, but checking that was when I found he had passed away.

I think its probably too late to find where the sons things went.

Thanks again

Alistair

Thanks

Alistair
    I take it his son had no children, if that's the case then your mother or one of her siblings will have NOK status.
    From the Certificate of Kinship form the order of NOK is;

A Surviving spouse
    B Eldest child
    C Eldest grandchild/great grandchild
    D Parent
    E Brothers/sisters of the whole blood
    F Children of brothers/sisters of the whole blood
    G Brothers/sisters of the half blood
    H Children of brothers/sisters of the half blood
    I Grandparents
    J Uncles/aunts of the whole blood
    K Children of uncles/aunts of the whole blood
    L Uncles/aunts of the half blood
    M Children of uncles/aunts of the half blood

I think they would come in at 'F' and you probably will need a copy of his sons death cert (9.95 last time I got one) and another 30.

Rgds
    Pete

Thanks

Alistair

it would have made a lot more sense to have kept this to the original thread.

Can you explain what exactly you got from the RAF.

Did you pay 30 for an abbreviated service record for a person deceased more than 20 years or killed in the war - though your person didn't dy in the war?

Or was it the 30 full service record of perhaps two sided A3 size?

or was it something else you got.

Are there any postings listed on what you got?

What department did you contact and what did they send back. When did William pass away?

What exactly is 'a sheet of almost nothing of use'
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi,
    Sorry for the delayed reply.

Pete, I may try again using the NoK route in my MOthers name, I wasnt sure how I go about proving that - I have Williams death certificate (although I'm not sure where at the moment) but would I also then need his Wifes and Sons - would I then need my Grans certificate to show her relatiosnhip to his parents and my Mums birth certificate to show her Mum is teh same person - I'm confusing myself now - I did originally consider it but thought it was a bit of a jigsaw to prove their relationship and then also how do the RAF know he had no other children (I'm probably over complicating it).

Dennis your right should have added to the original thread, I was just trying to start from scratch. The form I used to apply was titled "Request for Information held on the Personnel Records of Deceased Service Personnel - Application Form Part 1 for General Enquirers" - I think it mentioned 25 years being the time after death for information, it was around 1998 he died (I do have the certificate but not to hand). The application was to RAF 3rd Party Disclosure Team, RAF Cranwell and was 30. The Sheet they sent was a single page typed sheet listing the following:

Surname:McNeil
    Forename: William
    Service Number: 149679
    Date of Birth: 16 July 1916
    Place of Birth: Wishaw, Lanarkshire
    Date of Enlistment: 12 May 1941
    Discharge to Commision: 6 June 1943
    Date of Commision: 7 June 1943
    Relinquished Commision: 30 August 1945
    Honours and Awards: Non recorded on record

The majority of the information was as I filled in on the form - the date of enlistment and date of relinquishing commision (which I take as him leaving the RAFVR) are the only real new information I received.

Thanks

Alistair