Thread: F/Lt Robert Edward Allitt DFC, died 23rd February 1944

Thanks

Default F/Lt Robert Edward Allitt DFC, died 23rd February 1944

Hi all,

can anyone tell me how F/Lt Allitt lost his life on the 23rd February 1944, please? He is commemorated on the Singapore memorial. No unit stated.

Also, can anyone tell me what unit (and aircraft) he was serving with when he was awarded the DFC? The citation from the LG states:
    "On a night in May, 1940, this officer was acting as second pilot and bomb-aimer in an aircraft engaged in attacking a target in Germany when the aircraft was severely damaged by gun fire. Although the rudder controls were shot away, and the pilot barely able to control the aircraft, the attack was continued and the bomb-aimer released his bombs on the target. The aircraft received at least five more hits from anti-aircraft fire and one engine was stopped but, in spite of the aircraft being almost unmanageable, Pilot Officer Allitt succeeded in navigating it under most harassing conditions to the nearest position on the French frontier, a distance of over 100 miles, where the crew were able to abandon the aircraft in friendly country".

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?5885-23-24-Feb-1944-missing-Far-East

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Allitt was killed piloting Liberator III BZ951/Y of 1673 HCU, on a mission to bomb Sinde Dumps, Burma, on 23rd Feb 1944.

More info here, with a full account on second page:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?5885-23-24-Feb-1944-missing-Far-East

Regards

Simon

Edit : Ross beat me to it...!

Thanks

Tom,

Re: ALLITT's DFC:

11-12 May 1940
    No.144 Sqn
    Hampden I P1326 PL-
    Op:Monchengladbach

W/C. A N Luxmoore +
    P/O R Allitt
    Sgt H Wathey
    Cpl R Jolly

See:BCL1/50

Col.

Thanks

Hi all,

thanks for the links, for some reason I had not found them when I 'googled' him. Thanks Col for the info on his DFC, great stuff.

Cheers,

Tom