Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P/O Forrest Melvin Cox 121 sqn USA

Thanks

Default P/O Forrest Melvin Cox 121 sqn USA

Hi there,
    P/O Forrest Melvin Cox VR-103468 was with 121 Eagle sqn at Kirton-in-Lindsey on B Flt when on 3-11-41 was one of 7 pilots selected to ferry Hurricane IIb to Cardiff at 1200hrs, bad weather interviened and he was forced to crash land at Oakhampton. He was injured with 3 broken fingers.
    Does any one know which Hurricane IIb this was and what happened the P/O FM Cox afterwards as I cannot find anything else until he died on 22-4-61 in America.
    Thanks, Roy

Thanks

Default P/O Forrest Melvin Cox 121 sqn USA

Roy,

he returned to his unit on November 21st. He was then posted to 266 Wing on December 6th and to 151 OTU in April 1942, before being transferred to USAAF in August 1942.

Source: The RAF Eagle Squadrons by Philip Caine.

John Engelsted

Thanks

Default P/O Forrest Melvin Cox

Hi John,
    You are great, thank you for what you have found. I thought I would not find anymore on him.
    So I hope someone who is into the USAAF can add some more to this mystery American pilot.
    Thanks, Roy

Thanks

I can shed a little light on P/O Forrest Melvin Cox, I'm his grandson.
    I have his RAF flightlogs, and photo albums of his time in the RAF. All archived digitally. The incident in question is only a line in the log.
    Nov. 2 /Hurricane /25081 /self /Kirton-Cardiff crash

After the 121 ES he was sent to India.
    After the RAF he went into Army Air Corps. 74th Squadron you might have heard of them:). When he came back to the US, he was stationed at Luke AFB, Glendale, Arizona, USA.

After he left the Air Force(1 April 1947) he became a home builder. At the time of his death(22 April 1961) he had built over 5000 homes in Phoenix, Arizona, USA.

I never meet my Grandfather, he died before I was born. But from what I have been able gather, he was a remarkable man.

If you have any questions please ask.

Thanks

Commander Max very interesting post the serial would have been Hawker Hurricane Z5081 the 2 is a z thanks Paul

Thanks

I don't know the proper nomenclature for the aircraft. So the numeral 2 is translated as a z. He wrote a numeral 2 in the log.

Thanks

Hello All,

Roy (LL), On pages 60-1, of Christopher Shore's, Bloody Shambles Vol.2. you will find a brief description of No.266 (Fighter) Wing, and a Table (6) listing the Fighter pilot replacements aboard the 'City of Canterbury'. Cox is not listed in the Table, maybe he should be!

Convoy WS 14 (which included the 'City of Canterbury'), departed Oversay on Tuesday, 9th December, 1941, and arrived at Freetown on Sunday, 21 December, 1941. The 'City of Canterbury', was detached from WS 14 on Monday, 19th, January, 1942 and joined Convoy DM 2 duly arriving at Batavia on Tuesday, 3 February, 1942.

This fits in well with Cox's posting to No.266 Wing on 6th December, 1941, mentioned by John.

Commander Max, Welcome Aboard! Is any of the above mentioned in your Grandfather's paperwork ?

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 10th July 2013 at 04:21.

Thanks

Thank you very much Col B, I found this board doing a search on my Grandfather's name. Imagine my surprise finding a stranger asking about him.

I'm very happy to help. I'm not familiar with a lot of the terms, I hope you guys can help.

On the same day before he crashed(2 Nov 41) he was flying a Spitfire 2 (P7926) scrmble opps(as it appears in the log).
    On 4 Nov he was flying a Spitfire 2(P-7546) log states "Local west Kirby". He went up twice that day.
    On 5 Nov flying another Spitfire 2(P-7546) log states "channel 4 of 8 return". I have no idea what that means.
    On 6 Nov flying Spitfire 2(P-7542) "local patrol" he went up again that same day log states "Bristol '' " I'm assuming Bristol local patrol.

Did the "City of Canterbury" have catapults?

Thanks

Commander Max,

Did the "City of Canterbury" have catapults? Not to the best of my knowledge. The "City of Canterbury" was an 8,331grt British Troopship.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 10th July 2013 at 08:36.

Thanks

Default F M Cox VR-103468

Hello again gents,
    What a surprise to see this subject up and running again and welcome Commander Max to the forum.
    Your input from 2-11-41 is most welcome and his route to the FE to 151 OTU. Am I correct that while at 151 OTU, Risalpur, India he was instructing on Mohawk, Hurricane and Harvards.
    Max do you have any details on his units with the USAAF from 24-8-42 and his various postings please, starting with 74th FS in the US Army Air Corps, plus his US service number and where was he buried please.
    This US pilot is little known here in the UK so any help from you would be great.
    Last but not least thanks to John E and to Col,
    Roy