Thread: Looking for my Grandfather

Thanks

Default Looking for my Grandfather

I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction as I seem to have been floundering around for weeks! My Grandmother had all my Grandfather's papers etc stolen in a burglary. The information I have is that his name was Joshua Redvers Turner (aka 'Buller'Turner) he served with the Royal Flying Corps, he enlisted underage but what year I don't know, he was born in 1900. I know he visited Talbot House in Poperinghe and indeed brought Toc H back to his home town in Yorkshire. According to his daughter he was injured by a propellor whilst removing (or placing) the chocks on a plane, as a result he had to have a kidney removed, I have no idea what year this was but assume his service would have ceased after this. I have looked everywhere I can think of but drawn a blank, can anyone help please? He survived the war but died at 38yrs of age.

Thanks

Glenys, Hi - Welcome

I've found some basic facts

Births Dec 1900 (>99%)
    Turner Joshua Redvers Wakefield 9c 41

Civil registration event: Birth
    Name: TURNER, Joshua Redvers
    Registration district: Wakefield. County: Yorkshire
    Year of registration: 1900. Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
    Mother's maiden name: Not available before 1911 Q3
    Volume no: 9C Page no: 41

From the 1911 Census:
    Name Relation Condition /
    Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where born Image
    TURNER, Joshua Tellows Head Married M 50 1861 Coal Miner Hewer Lower Gornall Staff VIEW

TURNER, Harriett Wife Married31 years F 55 1856 Derbyshire Beighton VIEW

TURNER, Joshua Redvers Son M 10 1901 School Yorkshire Stanley VIEW

RG number: RG14 Piece: 27416
    Reference: RG14PN27416 RG78PN1569 RD504 SD6 ED3 SN104
    Registration District: Wakefield. Sub District: Stanley
    Enumeration District: 3 Parish: Stanley
    Address: Richardson Terrace Ferry Lane Stanley Near Wakefield
    County: Yorkshire (West riding)

Civil registration event: Death
    Name: TURNER, Joshua R
    Registration district: Wakefield. County: Yorkshire
    Year of registration: 1938. Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
    Age at death:37
    Volume no: 9C Page no: 77

The WW1/RFC experts will, no doubt, be along shortly to help you

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

There is extensive information on his birth death marriage, parents, grand parents, hobbies, military service etc on the ancestry.com tree.

It includes a photo of him in uniform and the medal card roll for his service with the RFC. It gives his medal entitlement and his service number 2368.

With this you can obtain copies of his service records from The National Archives (provided they were not lost or burnt in the bonbing)

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly and for your warm welcome. Peter, all that research, it really is very good of you. Ross, can you remember which tree you got his service number from? On my tree, (Turner/Clarkson), there are extensive details but not all of the things you have mentioned are from my tree ( at least I don't think they are!! )

I searched a very long list of military personnel and had identified the service number 2368 as a possibility but the person with that number was in France on 31st December 1915, which would have made my Grandfather just 15 yrs of age, is this a possibility? I'd rather dismissed 2368 from being correct because he would have been so young and whilst family history says he lied about his age to enlist, I thought that he was probably 17 years or so old, not 15. I'll get back to the National Archives and take another look and see if I can trace a Service record for 2368, which should solve the mystery.

Thanks again
    Glenys