Thread: 90 squadron I am researching my dad and believe he was part of this squadron

Thanks

Default 90 squadron I am researching my dad and believe he was part of this squadron

I have recently managed to get hold of my dad Charles Cox RAF records and have had someone look at them and I know he was at at RAF apprentice training at Halton in 1936 as fitter2 Rank A/A He was then posted to various squadrons, then in 1943 he was posted to 90 squadron and I would really like to find out if anyone knows anything about what he did in these squadrons I would love to know.
    Many thanks Sarah

Thanks

Hi Sarah
    Unless your Dad switched to Aircrew at any time then he would have been concerned with the maintenance and repair of any a/c that his respective Sqns operated. Halton was the School of Technical Training and he would have been trained to a high standard. Look at his record to find what trade he was trained in. The possibilities were Airframe, Engine, Armament, Aircraft Instruments and Electrics among others, and your dad could have been in any of those categories. Halton also trained groundcrew for Radio and Radar but this was,I think, already moved elsewhere by the time your dad got there. THey also trained Medical personnel (not doctors or nurses) and cooks. At the time your dad got to 90 Sqn they were flying Short Stirling heavy bombers in Bomber Command and he would have worked on whatever they were equipped with. Look at his record to see if it mentions any short stays at units where he might have been given training on new equipment, engines etc as the war progressed and then returned with his new knowledge to his parent Sqn.
    Not much but it's a start.
    Regards
    Dick