Thread: Flt Lt Harold Wood RAFVR

Thanks

Default Flt Lt Harold Wood RAFVR

All,

I am in the process of gathering material for a presentation regarding Flt Lt Harold Wood RAFVR (service number 70746).

Flt Lt Wood may also be better known to some as the post war Blackburn & General Aircraft Ltd Chief Test Pilot Harold "Timber" Wood, who won the Kings Cup in 1954 flying Miles Messenger G-AKBO (the same plane that flies in the opening sequence of the film "633 Squadron").

I have lots on his RAF service and test pilot careers except for:

a) 26/8/40 to 23/10/40 service with 24 Sqn - any ideas on where they/he was and what he was doing at the time?

b) photos of him during his RAF service. If anyone has any please do PM me.

c) I have not been able to find his date of death nor, surprisingly, any published obituary (I have checked The Times, Flight etc). Any ideas?

If anyone is able to add anything, please feel free to contact me. I will happily share my notes thus far.

Regards,
    Chris

Thanks

All,

Just realised that this was my first post and I have not properly introduced myself, for which I apologise.

I am interested in all things RAF and Battle of Britain. I am a member of the UK Orders & Medals Research Society; I am the School Plaque Project manager for the Battle of Britain Historical Society; I have had one or two journal/magazine articles published plus a book "The Air Efficiency Award 1942-2005: A History and a Nominal Roll of British and Commonwealth Recipients"; and, in my spare time, am a serving officer in the RAFVR(T).

Regards,
    Chris

Thanks

Chris

Communications Squadron based at Hendon flying a wide variety of aircraft.

Thanks

Default Fl/Lt Harold 'Timber'Wood

Hi there Chris - I appreciate that it is now some years since you were researching the above but I have recently become interested in his flying career and have obtained a lot of information from the internet. It appears that he was involved a great deal in the beginnings of commercial aviation and did a lot of test flying aside from winning the Kings cup air race and landing on a coral reef in the Pacific in 1937. I am doing this research for someone who knew him when he was the Chief test pilot at Blackburn but if you are still interested I should be interested to know what info you have obtained. I have only started looking in the last few days but the more I look the more I find. Pity someone has not written a book. Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Alan