Thread: S/L Patrick Stevens Engelbach (former 141 Mosquito pilot)+ KIA as OC 23 Squadron-1955

Thanks

Default S/L Patrick Stevens Engelbach (former 141 Mosquito pilot)+ KIA as OC 23 Squadron-1955

Good night to all!
    I am looking for a picture of PATRICK STEVENS ENGELBACH (former Mosquito NF pilot with 141 Squadron), who was killed on the 15th February 1955 (at RAF Coltishall), flying a DH Venom NF.2.
    I am looking for details of the flying accident (clipped a tree on an instrument approach?) and serial number and possible second crewmember aboard the Venom NF.2
    Any details or contacts with the family is welcomed. S/L Engelbach married Helena Philby on September 1946 (the sister of the famous KGB spy Philby). It seems she re-married in late 80's.
    ANY details about this airman and his last flight is welcomed.
    Yours most sincerely
    Adriano S. BAUMGARTNER

Thanks

Hi Adriano,
    15.02.55 was w/o NF2 WR781
    http://www.dehavilland.ukf.net/_DH112%20prodn%20list.txt
    or:
    Venom NF2, WR781: 2 miles from Rougham, near West Raynham, Norf., 15 Feb. 1955
    http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C424380

Regards
    Mojmír

Thanks

The second member of the crew was Flying Officer Malcolm John Wright 21

The aircraft was returning to Coltishall from West Raynhem and took off normally. However, about 15 seconds after becoming airborne, the aircraft struck a tree and a fire started in the engine bay, although the aircraft continued to climb and appeared to be under control. It then lost height and crashed into a field.

Although not positively determined, it is thought that the pilot might have been distracted whilst making a radio frequency change. Furthermore, there is a 200 feet height difference between West Raynham and Coltishall but there is no information as to what pressure setting was on the altimeter at the time.

Engelbach was the second squadron commander of 23's to be killed, as Sqn Ldr Jacomb-Hood had died the previous year in an accident.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Mojmir and Colin,

I do thank you very much for the additional information and DATA about the accident that claimed the life of S/L Engelbach.

May I ask you, COLIN, if you have a picture of ENGELBACH at that time? You seems to have an excellent knowledge of 23 Squadron...this is why I ask that! Are you a former 23 Squadron member (I mean have you served during the 50's?).

Thank you again for both help and contribution.
    Yours must sincerely
    Adriano S. BAUMGARTNER

Thanks

Good Morning Adriano,

I am sorry but I have no photographs of Englebach and neither do I have any association with 23 Sqn. I have looked through a book called: Red Eagles by Peter Rudd but there is little mention of Englebach and no photographs to help other than one of an NF2. I think there is another squadron history but I can't find any reference to it.

My involvement is merely that I have an interest in RAF aircraft accidents and this, of course, is one.

Colin Cummings