Thread: N D C Query

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default N D C Query

Not a usual flying query this but connected via the Battle of France. I came across the 'British NDC' mainly used in France for the building of huts etc for the RAF. They appear to be a civilian unit and were made up, at least in part. of Liverpool/Irish and had a notorious reputation in and around Vitry in late 1939 early 1940. Anyone cast a light on this unit?

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Pleased to see I wasn't the only person who knew nothing of this group: I thought it was only me. The British NDC, Liverpool/Irish, seemingly terrorized the area around Vitry in late 1939 early 1940 to the extent that the RAF ground crews were not welcome in the area, until they proved they were not of the Liverpool/Irish. They also held up movements of RAF Squadrons into airfields such as Vitry as they were lax on the work front.

The pilot who wrote this also stated that, the Liverpool/Irish, kicked the brains out of a Sgt Maj for some reason. The following day the two Liverpool/Irish involved were taken out and shot. I thought this was a bit severe for WW2 but we live and learn of the seedier side of WW2 every day.

Robert.