Thread: Aerial Photos website

Thanks

Default Aerial Photos website

Hi All

I have been directed to this site for help in my research of the loss during 1943. http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk

Has anyone used this site?

I was looking at registering so that I can see the images at a high resolution, this costs £18.99 but to but an image it is about £8 each.
    So my question is: If I register can I save the images to my computer for evaluation without it having the watermark?

How good are the images ?

Any pointers would be great as like most research mistakes can become very costly.

regards

Nick

Thanks

Iíve not used the website, but I did spend a day in Edinburgh going through reconnaissance pictures (the staff are excellent and really helpful). You need to book a viewing station before your visit. You also need the coordinates of the loss location (get that from google earth before you go).
    Once youíve seen all the pictures and found the picture you want, you can order a low resolution print on A4 paper, this is very cheap. I would defo look through all the pictures first (some reconnaissance flights were cloudy or poor vis) before ordering any HD prints.
    Good luck
    NM

Thanks

Thanks for the info Captain_m

Edinburgh is out of the question at the moment thats why I wondered if the way through the website would be of any use.

I will look at a visit in the future though as seeing the photos first hand maybe more beneficial.

I have looked at some of the photos but was not sure if the higher resolution shots would help me. Using the web seemed the logical way to go at this time.

Nick

Thanks

I use this site a lot and paid the registration fee when they first got going, renewing annually. I have found the resolution excellent for spotting small details as you have four zoom levels, excluding the full frame view. I can't tell if a photo print would be better as this depends on the negative. As with all aerial photos the definition depends on the height and the most recent ones from 1988 don't give much in detail. If you are after a specific print only even the registration is still good value as a scanned copy used to cost £10 a few years back and it means you can look at earlier or later frames as well. Coverage is being added every 3-6 months and so far most of the major airfields are covered with some good coverage of pre-runway eras.
    One odd series is the US Navy coastal survey runs. They are in long frames and although they are not as clear as the RAF wartime ones they do show some of the changes since the war ended and include a large part of the Cumbrian coast as well.
    I have not looked at the European shots but have no doubt the quaility is the same as the Scottish ones and again coverage is still being added.

Thanks

Many thanks PNK

I should no doubt have put in the thread that the loss occurred over Hanover in 1943. So these are the type of recon shots I am looking at.

I will look at registering and see if the images are of use. The shots I have been directed to are from 4/10/1943 of Seelhorst and as far as I am aware there are a few frames to be looked at.

One is here: http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/database/record.php?usi=006-023-004-240-C&scache=439ch9f9p7&searchdb=tara_scran

Thanks again

Nick