Thread: Aircraft crash in Cardiff near the Cardiff Docks, winter 1940/41

Thanks

Default Aircraft crash in Cardiff near the Cardiff Docks, winter 1940/41

Please can anybody help me to ID an RAF aircraft which crashed into a residential area near Cardiff Docks in the winter of 1940/41. I know that the local people managed to rescue 2 crewmen from the wreckage. This is all I know. Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete,

Rapide AW115 of 8 AACU on 15/2/41. I have it CTO at Cardiff (Pengam) airfield. Also see, by the greatest coincidence, today's response by Denis Burke re casualties on 15/2/1941.

BTW have you any idea where 'the Droves (or Drovers) road is in Grangetown Cardiff. This was the given site of the crash of Master W8698 18/1/42.

regards
    DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 18th February 2013 at 19:47. Reason: More info

Thanks

Thanks Dave, I'll get back to you on the Drovers

Date: 15-FEB-1941
    Time:
    Type: de Havilland DH.89A Dragon-Rapide.
    Operator: 8 AACU, RAF
    C/n / msn: 6258
    Fatalities: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 3
    Other fatalities: 0
    Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
    Phase: Take off
    Nature: Military
    Departure airport: RAF St. Athan
    Destination airport:
    Narrative:
    c/no.6258: Registered G-ACTU [CofR 5121] 3.9.34 to Claude R.Anson, Itchel Manor, Crondall, Hampshire (but actaully based at Hanworth, Middlesex). CofA 4477 issued 24.9.34; delivered 6.11.34. Registered [CofR 7193] 17.7.36 to Arthur P.H. Forbes, The Right Hon Viscount Forbes and operated by Personal Airways Ltd, Croydon. Registration cancelled [probably as sold abroad] following attempted acquisition by a Frenchman acting for the Spanish Republicans in August September 1936, which was thwarted.

Registration restored [CofR 7426] 2.11.36 to Viscount Forbes [again]. Re-registered [CofR 7994] 14.7.37 to The Channel Trust Ltd, operated by Norman Edgar (Western Airways) Ltd, Weston super-Mare. Registered [CofR 8445] 9.4.38 to Weston Airport Ltd; operated by Western Airways Ltd, Weston-super-Mare. Registered [CofR 8854] 1.11.38 to Western Airways Ltd, Weston-super Mare.

Operated by 24 Squadron, RAF Hendon 30.9.39; detached to Le Bourget, France, 8.11.39. Returned (following the fall of France) in May 1940 to Western Airways Ltd. Registration cancelled 4.6.40 as "sold" and delivered to 8 AACU Filton 10.6.40 (later Weston at Zoyland and Cardiff). Impressed into RAF Service as AW115 25.7.40. (One source states that, as AW115, crashed at St.Eval, Cornwall in August 1940)

Stalled on take-off from RAF St. Athan; crashed into a garden at Cardiff, South Glamorgan 15.2.41 and destroyed by fire; all 3 on board injured. Struck Off Charge 28.2.41

Thanks

Dave,
    there is a Drovers Way (in a new development of nice houses) half way between the fork of the Llantristant Road (A4119) and the B4262 near Radyr.

Thanks

Pete, thanks for looking. ABS has 'The Droves Road Grangetown'. I worked in Ferry Road for many years but have never heard of Droves Road, perhaps an historic or purely local appellation.

Re AW115 you say CTO from St Athan and landed in a Cardiff Garden. St Athan is quite a way from Cardiff, perhaps 15 miles or more. Would it make more sense for the take off point to be Pengam; have you searched the local papers?
    regards
    DaveW

Thanks

Local papers will be next Dave :)
    I copied that data off the net so I am not able to vouch for its accuracy.

I'm no longer in the area regularly so when I'm next there I'll give it a go at the Library. Many thanks for your help
    Last edited by PeteS; 19th February 2013 at 16:22.

Thanks

Thank you all for your help.

Further research has established that DH89 Rapide AW115 (ex-civilian registry G-ACTU) of No. 8 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit crashed on Carnmoir Road, Tremorfa, Cardiff.

Officially there were four personnel on board Sgt J. Kumela (Pilot), LAC Thomas Yardley, AC1 Douglas Cross & A/Section Officer Joy Winifred Orde who all survived the crash.

I note that 886710 Corporal Miss Joy Winifred Orde WAAF was commissioned as Assistant Section Officer (782) WAAF on 29th June 1940.

Thanks

Pete, thanks for posting this update. However, could I suggest that 'Carnmoir' should read 'Craigmuir' ; Craigmuir Road is almost in line with the runway at Pengam. There is no Carnmoir Road.

BTW I have since found that 'The Droves' is the area of Cardiff between Sloper Road and the Ely River.

regards
    DaveW